Targa California

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I attended this event last spring and had a wonderful time. Scenic roads, spirited driving and other enthusiasts who thoroughly enjoy driving their vintage automobiles. A group of guys were following the event with video cameras and told us they would be creating a website to showcase vehicles and their owners. I just came across this as it was featured on Bring a Trailer so they have kept their dream alive. In the link below my coupe is shown for a second or two at 4:20 following Rey Rivera's red 1600 Alpina tribute and at 5:25 at the conclusion of the event.

http://www.petrolicious.com/search?searchphrase=all&searchword=Targa

Also shown are a couple shots of Carl's CSL BAT driven by Jeff Tighe and Ben Tongsai with Carl's son Owen in the back seat. This event would be even more enjoyable if we had a few coupe owners join in this coming spring for 2 1/2 days of driving pleasure. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Their website also has some pretty interesting features, something else to look forward to in addition to BaT.

Chris

execmalibu

Reaction score
The Targa California has been coordinated by Dave for 25 years...

Dave Bouzoglu and I go back over 35 years... One year around 1987-88 Dave and I drove my 427 Cobra (CSX3127) up to Monterey for the Historic car races...

He has been coordinating these events for over 25 years... The first one was originally called the "Solvang Stomp" (now called the Targa Calif ) That year the Semi Freeway was brand new and was totally empty when we started...

Imagine a 427 Cobra and a Ferrari Daytona (365GTB/4)screaming wide open at 180+ MPH!!! Remember the Cobra vs the Ferrari in the Gum-Ball Rally? Talk about a couple of Lunatics... Amazing I am still here...

Dave is a great driver and he sometimes will drive the "EVIL ****ROACH" a black 914/6 flared with a built 3.2 liter on these ultra high speed events... I have to push insanely hard to even keep up with him... One year I brought a Dodge Viper and that car ruled the day...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds interesting for next year. 2 1/2 days from Santa Barbara to Monterey? Are we walking then?

This event would be even more enjoyable if we had a few coupe owners join in this coming spring for 2 1/2 days of driving pleasure. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Chris

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, standing next to my coupe. It starts in Thousand Oaks and heads to Paso Robles for two nights. Day 2 is Paso to Carmel and back to Paso.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff, I can follow you up there

You have enough cars, just pick one and I will drive it !
That way we can have more coupes there.
Stan

rb1971

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun trip for next year. Is it open to both US and EU cars? If so I might bring Lucy and the Prez as well.

rb1971

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I signed up last night, as well as a friend who has a monster 68 Firebird convertible. Looking for another driver to bring my Lincoln and talking to a few other folks that have E9s, 02s and even one GTV.

ben

Reaction score
Will be bringing another one of Carl's fleet this year, most likely the Z1 instead of the CSL.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow at 0 dark thirty for the Targa California. Stan is flying in tonight at 10:30 (ugh) to drive my NK. John, rb1971, is meeting us in Paso, Mark Judy is driving his 73 Baikal coupe, Rey R is bring three BMWs including his NK 2000 with S14 motor, should be a blast. Will take pics.

Chris

(John L, next year you're joining us!)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Day 1

I had an absolute blast! The Baur ended up staying in HB so I drove the HBChris NK 2000. Lots of twisities turns and dips.

At one point we switched and I drove Chris's 3.0 and could barely keep up on CA 229. What an E ticket ride! If you haven't driven this road, do it Now my favorite road in the USA!!

I would do it again just to drive 229!

Last edited:

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow at 0 dark thirty for the Targa California. Stan is flying in tonight at 10:30 (ugh) to drive my NK. John, rb1971, is meeting us in Paso, Mark Judy is driving his 73 Baikal coupe, Rey R is bring three BMWs including his NK 2000 with S14 motor, should be a blast. Will take pics.

Chris

(John L, next year you're joining us!)

Next year for sure Chris. Kicking myself for missing this year....

rb1971

Reaction score
Guys-

If you're wondering what happened to Lucy, she blew a diff seal somewhere just south of King City, CA. I spent several hours going back and forth with a local mechanic (who was great, and fortunately into old cars, as an aside) as to whether if we filled it with oil and red loctited the seal it would make the trip back to SF or if I needed a tow.

Just got back to SF. The rear end sounds like a box of gravel, but I ultimately wasn't stranded which was great.

The morning was super fun, and my co-pilot took a video which I will post when I get it from him.

-John