vintage vdo gauges

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Octane-Magazin-BMW_CSL-BMW-CSL-148 (1).jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are looking for Celsius gauges I would scour eBay DE and Kleinenzigen (sp?). You can get close to those with vintage Volkswagon and Audi gauges which are often available.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Back in the 80's, I installed a couple of gauges in the console of my 2002 (volts and oil pressure).
The ones I chose were very similar to what is shown above. They were VDO 'Cockpit' series. See enclosed pic.
The VDO ones available now look to be similar. They are available still at a variety of places from what I see online...

Attachments

• DSC01175.JPG
    DSC01175.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 59

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pressure Gauge is 350 251/2/23
Temp Gauge is 310 274/9/5

The 310 may be 31C, cannot tell.

IMG_3529.JPG

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is a slight aside from your original post. What works really well in the coupe is to mount the chrome gauges from the back side. This way the chrome ring you see is very similar in size to the amount of chrome you see on the main cluster. The VDO gauges come with a stepped chrome bezel that presents too much chrome if mounted from the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_4426.jpeg
    IMG_4426.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 46

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a slight aside from your original post. What works really well in the coupe is to mount the chrome gauges from the back side. This way the chrome ring you see is very similar in size to the amount of chrome you see on the main cluster. The VDO gauges come with a stepped chrome bezel that presents too much chrome if mounted from the outside.

Expanding on that. I found that Opel Manta factory gauges are the closest match to e9. Only difference is that they pivot at 6PM instead of the gauge center, and the dials are orange. I like that they have brushed aluminum dial bases.

Not that any of this applies to matching the true Alpina fitment.

I ultimately made gauges with a center pivot and white dials. The center cover doesn’t have the right profile but what can you do?

1A21EDAA-3FE6-47D2-BE91-C1983D491474.jpeg
23363D1C-BCF7-4247-BD24-C7AC9407BCEB.jpeg