What did you do to your E9 today?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
More Parts

The parts pile continues to grow. I got a nice box from wallothnesch.com today. Fast and super well packed. New brake lines, Fuel lines, front bearings, gaskets. Took advantage of some their specials. The 2800CS is still waiting for it's turn in the garage.
I went to start it today, just to keep things percolating, and the battery was flat so it's on the charger.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The parts pile continues to grow. I got a nice box from wallothnesch.com today. Fast and super well packed. New brake lines, Fuel lines, front bearings, gaskets. Took advantage of some their specials. The 2800CS is still waiting for it's turn in the garage.
I went to start it today, just to keep things percolating, and the battery was flat so it's on the charger.

Sounds interesting! Do you have a build thread?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Three is the number and the number shall be three.

Sounds interesting! Do you have a build thread?

I have a page dedicated to my E9 on my site that started out as a blog for my 1935 Morgan Three Wheeler build. That project has been sidelined, and I'll start blogging in ernest about the BMW restoration in a new months when I get the car into the garage. Got a Boxster hogging all the good garage space!

You can check out the blog at newian.me. Guess I should add that to my signature.

Ian
1970 2800CS Chamonix
newian.me

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well let's see, I put the lower timing cover on with new seal, a new rear crank seal on, spent 3 hours getting the f'ing oil pan back on (it took a careful balance of jacking up the engine to the top of the mounts then raising the rear of the engine enough to clear the crank shaft, what a pita), reinstalled alternator, ps pump, and a/c compressor and their brackets, the hub and bastard crank nut, and put the head back on with new head gasket. Then put the flywheel on. Felt like 10 hours of hot yoga with a medicine ball.

Tomorrow more fun as I work towards the 5 speed install after buttoning up the engine-new water pump, clutch, side drafts back on, maybe test fit the Getrag and shift tower if i get that far.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I moved 'Lorelei' (the German seductress) from the attached garage to the hobby garage, put it on the lift, and she is now ready for 'winter at the spa'.

During the stay there, I'll install lowering springs, new Koni shocks, replace the 3.64 diff with a 3.07, replace the AC compressor and condensor, replace the grey interior with tan/black carpet, install the W & N stainless exhaust, and about 25 or more other little things to correct (or slightly modify) the appearance/driving enjoyment.

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
After checking out brake pad/shoe thickness 2 months ago, I was looking at the car without its hubcaps, thought
the wheels had a sporty look but was missing something. Finally a week ago I ordered the center cap for a 80's
5-series car, put it on the wheel last night. Kinda like the look now...

DSC_0975b_zpsfwyeernh.jpg

Need to replace the lug nuts with some capped chrome ones.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After checking out brake pad/shoe thickness 2 months ago, I was looking at the car without its hubcaps, thought
the wheels had a sporty look but was missing something. Finally a week ago I ordered the center cap for a 80's

Looks great, just need to line the roundels up with the valve stems. I'm a bit OCD about that on my BMWs :)

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice I always liked that look on 2002's. I posted a thread on this a couple years ago wondering what if any caps would fit to make this work but never figured it out - looks great.

Some Alpina repro lug nuts from Coupeking would look perfect.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

they look lovely

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
today I received the re-chromed front bumper parts,....

once out of the box I needed sunglasses

they repaired a loose support, and closed two imperfect holes and drilled new holes before chroming process

re-chroming process has been complete: back to bare Steel, copper, nickel, chrome flash

unlike original parts (that are painted) these were nickel applied in the inner face too

special thanks to J.

Honolulu

Reaction score
DeQ, even from the far side of the planet those look gorgeous. I wonder how the shop was able to nickel plate both sides, but only chrome the outside. Stunning work, whatever the secret.

Happy Holidays!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DeQ, those look amazing.

Last night I touched up my seats with some Leatherique dye.

Tonight I mated the Getrag 265 to the bell housing and fixed the rear shift tower bushing to the tunnel. I had to drill a hole to mount it.

Tranny about to mate up:
IMG_2546.JPG

Hole for tower bushing under the carpet just aft of the shift console:

IMG_2548.JPG

Next up, hook up the UUC short throw to the lever and keep marching along.