What did you do to your E9 today?

BarneyT

Site Donor
Reaction score
Been working on refreshing these two rear subframe’s I picked up to add rear disc brakes to my coupe.
Plan on starting installing today.
IMG_7687.jpeg
IMG_7686.jpeg
today…

m73

Reaction score
New plugs set to correct gap -- finally back to original per owners manual. Recently did an oil change with M twin power oil as well.

-M

m73

Reaction score
What weight is that oil?
If I write it I fear being chastised....but it was satisfying to try it -- hopefully my engine can handle it....fingers crossed :)

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Today I have developed a small research project, it is so small that we could say it is a "research task"

I have started my thermocouple to measure temperature by contact, and thus I have discovered a couple of things:

conditions; 20km lap, warm engine, open hood, and stop engine;

The temperature of the metal in the expansion vessel is 65ºC
on the rocker cover 75ºC
in the exhaust manifold it is 175ºC
in the thermostat housing it is 61ºC

Two minutes later:
expansion vessel 70ºC
rocker cover 76ºC
exhaust manifold 115ºC
thermostat housing 70ºC

another two minutes later:
expansion vessel 75ºC
rocker cover 78ºC
exhaust manifold 98ºC
thermostat housing 81ºC

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went to a muscle cars and coffee. Beauty of E9 is you can fit in with most any crowd. Even these guys!

Attachments

• IMG_7340.jpeg
    IMG_7340.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7342.jpeg
    IMG_7342.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7343.jpeg
    IMG_7343.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 79

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
(not today) After storing this Victor Interspeed steering wheel for over a year I finally installed it a few weeks ago. I am very pleased with the change in wheel size and grip comfort.

Interspeed steering wheel.jpg

This week I pulled the 5 speed out of long term storage and started preparing it for the winter project. First step was clean up of the case. It was fairly clean already, and only required a little more than an hour to get the case cleaned up.

Today I separated the bell housing from the transmission (those nuts were really tight, I had to fire up the compressor and get out the impact gun) and pulled the front seal housing and installed a new seal.

Transmission ready for disassembly.jpg

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn’t know,Interesting…

I have most of the repair records from new and have not seen any mention of a replacement.
It’s always those undocumented repairs that catch you out! I bought an E28 that had every record but the one where the car should have been totaled.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s always those undocumented repairs that catch you out! I bought an E28 that had every record but the one where the car should have been totaled.
I suspect that mine could have ended up as a parts car at some point, but for the original owner putting ~$22k in metal work into the car in 1991. A lot of money (then especially), and possibly more than the car was worth at the time. It was an east coast car and had needs.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn’t know,Interesting…

I have most of the repair records from new and have not seen any mention of a replacement.

it is interesting, yes
I would not be so sure about anything
mine is a 3.0cs like yours, it is an early car as yours, and it has the same tacho as yours, redline at 6200
there are many things that could be or maybe,
doubt is a luxury that we can carry with us, certainties are thoughless

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it is interesting, yes
I would not be so sure about anything
mine is a 3.0cs like yours, it is an early car as yours, and it has the same tacho as yours, redline at 6200
there are many things that could be or maybe,
doubt is a luxury that we can carry with us, certainties are thoughless
Perhaps it was a matter of emptying the parts bin of the old stock as new units were brought on line…

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps it was a matter of emptying the parts bin of the old stock as new uni were brought on line…
indeed that happened with the kidney grilles for example
and who knows which other parts
i.e. i was told that very early 3.0cs where equipped with ZF gearboxes, but after they found that some gearboxes broke, they introduced the getrag (true ?)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps it was a matter of emptying the parts bin of the old stock as new units were brought on line…

here it is my cluster before renewal project, fully 100% original, correct dates, never dissasembled
a 3.0 CS
6200 and white numerals

1696866479285.png

when just removed from the coupe

1696869874943.png

ad estultiam volatum, jaunaren mina !

Johan_CS2800

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally got the brake pistons out. Nothing really worked, not even the trick with compressed air.
This did eventually the job: a breaker bar, some allen keys, lots of turning and patience...
IMG_6326.jpeg
IMG_6327.jpeg
IMG_6328.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score