What is this for?

Adkfrank

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the purpose of this nipple (see arrow) located on the bottom of my air cleaner?

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 111

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
From POV of my 1972 Bavaria, Plastic tube runs from gas tank filler neck, to a plastic reservoir in the trunk and then out to a charcoal scrubber near/below the battery tray and then from the scrubber to that nipple. I guess a poor man's EGR set up. Supposedly to burn the fumes. The entire setup is a PIA and the tube usually splits along its course somewhere and the casue for your interior smelling of gas. On my Euro E9 , filler neck vents to a tube that goes out the trunk below the bumper.

Adkfrank

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! Since I’ve removed the charcoal scrubber and vented the filler neck through the trunk I won’t need to use the nipple.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! Since I’ve removed the charcoal scrubber and vented the filler neck through the trunk I won’t need to use the nipple.
Don't suppose you kept the charcoal canister and pipes did you? Would be interested in a retro of this on my car

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the purpose of this nipple (see arrow) located on the bottom of my air cleaner?

that nipple is connected to a rubber or plastic hose

the hose goes to a T shaped tube, the two ends that depart from that T shaped tube go to the carbs,
in the middle section of the carbs there is a yellow metal tube that holds vacuum

when you make the synchro of carbs you should connect to an special device that will help you avoid the 100rpms difference

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
From POV of my 1972 Bavaria, Plastic tube runs from gas tank filler neck, to a plastic reservoir in the trunk and then out to a charcoal scrubber near/below the battery tray and then from the scrubber to that nipple. I guess a poor man's EGR set up. Supposedly to burn the fumes. The entire setup is a PIA and the tube usually splits along its course somewhere and the casue for your interior smelling of gas. On my Euro E9 , filler neck vents to a tube that goes out the trunk below the bumper.

i do not have egr thing,
but i question your answer
so you do not have that connected to the carbs ?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dash pot is mechanically connected. My Bavaria is in storage but here is an image of a 2002, different set up but note the connection. U.S. only

1601582185995.png