What to do with Extra Leather

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have over 1/2 a bolt of leather left over from my seat upholstrey. I was wondering if anyone has creative ideas I can use if for, but for sure I cannot pull off leather pants!

Attachments

• IMG_3468.jpg
    IMG_3468.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 42

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How about a custom fender cover for when you show your Coupe? Have you named your Coupe? Is your engine bay something to show? Since the leather is dark you'd need any designation to be in a light contrasting color.
Regards, Jon

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Use a small amount and wrap the plastic part of the emergency brake. If you keep your car out of the sun do you have enough to cover your hat shelf if not already done? Handy? Build a center armrest and cover it.

coupesport

Newish Member
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Matching color dye-lot is almost impossible, (and there's grain character..), so I'd put it in a dark box in a dry place (under your bed...?), and hang on to it, because there is mayhem out there...and if that bad luck happens, you're ready.
Good advice.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Matching color dye-lot is almost impossible, (and there's grain character..), so I'd put it in a dark box in a dry place (under your bed...?), and hang on to it, because there is mayhem out there...and if that bad luck happens, you're ready.
In that vein, it is good to have some matching leather in case you wear out the side bolster sliding in and out of the car over the course of years. Granted with the limited use we give our coupe it could take some time but in case of accident (something sharp in a pocket) spare matching leather is good. I had a matching shift boot made more my coupe.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it does happen, and having a few extra pieces is well worth it - even if you don't use it. one of the drivers side bolsters is the most likely to get damaged by getting in / out or seat belt wear. buying more later and trying to get it to match is NOT easy. dye lots vary as to the hide source, which means different colors and textures - they may be in the same family (blue, black, red, tan), but something as simple as blacks don't match most times.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMHO I would wrap it carefully, stash it safely, and....pretty much forget about it. Then, when there is some "incident" and you need to make a repair, you have the fix, exact matching leather hide to make whatever happened, just look like it never happened! ;)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i got a nice pair from a Cole Haan outlet store a while back - no string, but a good snap strap. love them. also have a BMW ///M set, they have a zipper and the ///M (for marketing). much prefer the Cole Haan pair.