when you show too much...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
found this car chase...

and found a 3rd passenger in the cop´s car...

1704537455268.png

312714039_10160741068402112_230479362135528813_n.jpg

Not really a fair comparison
0623DF41-D9A4-454F-BE35-DD8A7364E563.jpeg

1705404565586.png

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That was a good era to burn gas. My Dad had a Mustang Mach 1 of similar vintage in Grabber Blue. He drove that one longer than most.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have always had a soft spot for the Mach 1.

Short story - I was a 12 year old in 1971 working on stall in East Street market in South London UK and I heard this noise, a noise I had never heard, coming slowly through the market. If you attempted to drive through the market on market day, you were an idiot or wanting to show off.

Traveling at about 2 - 3 mph this V8 rumble came towards this wide eyed kid and it was a local gangster, who obviously had just got it and had the biggest smile on his face as he cruised through. I stood at the corner of the stall before I could see the car, I watched from a couple of feet away this Grabber Blue Mach 1 with its intoxicating sound, slowly cruise past me and what I felt was shaking the ground and little old me :)

About 8-9 years ago I said to a local Mustang guy, if ever you come across a great Mach 1, I would be interested.......... Six months later, I get a call, local on craigslist is a fully restored Lime Green Mach 1, 351 Cleveland and four speed Hurst shifter.

Its not an E9, its not beautiful or sublime in its build, lots of hard plastic inside, wallows around corners, not loved by the muscle car community, it is fun, very different experience to a BMW in just about every single way, but it is a wonderful childhood memory and makes me smile when I take it out.

1704913031873.jpeg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Too funny Peter - and I appreciate your thoughts.
I have had experiences in Mustangs even longer than BMW's.....

My first car was a 1968 Mustang GT convertible. Had that car in high school (and still have it today - now 45 years later). My parents bought it when it was 10 years old and I used it daily for around 5 years. That was a great car to have. New enough to be 'nice' - but old enough to be - even then - a classic.
When it was time to go to college, my parents (my mother mainly) wanted me to have a 'better' car - I think mainly so she could use the Mustang. LOL
So -in 1984 I found my 2002. I had that 2002 for nearly 30 years. Sold it as after I bought my CS, the 02 hardly ever saw the light of day after that point.

I had the Mustang restored back in 2006. I had everything done - including all new suspension bits and hot rodded engine - took 18 months. But, if you look at the car, it looks 100% stock.
Funny thing though - even with the fully restored (and improved) Mustang restored to even better than new - the 2002, with nearly 200,000 miles on it - could run rings around it. Brakes were awesome. Steering - precise and wonderful. Suspension - great. Mustang - not so much - LOL
Detroit in the 60's was not the purveyor of high quality driving experiences. LOL Even to this day, I call the steering wheel of the Mustang a 'suggestion device'.
And now - once again - the Mustang is stuck in my garage with a mechanical issue whereas I believe the Coupe that Don did for me will soldier on for years to come without hardly any fuss (fingers crossed).

Attachments

• DSC_0100.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 22

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mustangs. Pfft ;-). My parents bought a new Emberglow coupe in 66 so I was a Ford guy. I had a 56 Ford Fairlane and a 56 F100 (best looking truck ever IMHO) and my best friend had a 55 Chevy 210. Then he bought a 67 RS/SS Camaro factory 4-speed and one drive was all it took to convert me to the bow tie. I've had over a dozen 67 Camaros, most back when I hardly had two nickels to rub together, and still own a 67 RS/SS convertible. Long live the rivalry.

1704993532579.png

WIth the kids:
1704993578827.png

In my youth (and my parent's driveway)...
1704993232385.png

1704993267632.png

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have always had a soft spot for the Mach 1.

Short story - I was a 12 year old in 1971 working on stall in East Street market in South London UK and I heard this noise, a noise I had never heard, coming slowly through the market. If you attempted to drive through the market on market day, you were an idiot or wanting to show off.

Traveling at about 2 - 3 mph this V8 rumble came towards this wide eyed kid and it was a local gangster, who obviously had just got it and had the biggest smile on his face as he cruised through. I stood at the corner of the stall before I could see the car, I watched from a couple of feet away this Grabber Blue Mach 1 with its intoxicating sound, slowly cruise past me and what I felt was shaking the ground and little old me :)

About 8-9 years ago I said to a local Mustang guy, if ever you come across a great Mach 1, I would be interested.......... Six months later, I get a call, local on craigslist is a fully restored Lime Green Mach 1, 351 Cleveland and four speed Hurst shifter.

Its not an E9, its not beautiful or sublime in its build, lots of hard plastic inside, wallows around corners, not loved by the muscle car community, it is fun, very different experience to a BMW in just about every single way, but it is a wonderful childhood memory and makes me smile when I take it out.

View attachment 174984
Love it!!! That Mach 1 sounded amazing in our garage. My one biggest memory is that my Dad was for the most part a very conservative driver. He was not an enthusiast really. One day as a passenger I asked him to give it the old acceleration test. To my surprise he floored it and took it to 115 mph as I recall. I was not expecting that! I don’t think he was either.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love those first gen Camaros. I bought my first one, '68 RS convert when I was 15, stupidly sold it 6 years later in college because I needed the money. Bought the 69 RS convertible, right after we got married. A friend of my uncles ordered it new. I drove it to work one Friday and thought my company car (Ford Taurus) was more fun to drive though the curves. That's when I started looking for an e9.

Something has happened to me since, I really want to find my '68 - the actual car I owned. I might have to give up the M5 or M3 (not the coupe of course) to pay for it. I'd love to get that car back.

IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg