Where do I begin

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/105464286@N08/

I have not put the car up on the lift yet since craterface's parts car is still being torn apart. I did take out all of the parts from the trunk and had a look in the spare well. I found an old Michelin as well as some fiberglass. I need to look through the notes but it looks like they put a fiberglass spare wheel well in when they repainted the car in the late 80's. Other than that the rest of the trunk looks very sound and a little magic eraser on the elephant skin should have it looking quite nice.

The only real disappointment of the day was the fact that my coco mats seem to have been completely faded somehow. I'm not sure where they were kept over the last year but certain parts of them are completely faded. I suppose this could be from direct exposure to sunlight but this seems like an awful lot of bleaching from just a year. I will follow up with my mechanic and the folks at coco next week.

All in all the interior looks amazing and the car drives super quiet. The AC faceplate and steering column were painted in black but not with the crinkle finish of the original. This bothers me more in the pictures than in real life because the difference in the car is much more subtle than in the pictures.

The exterior needs some serious cleanup and possibly a wet sand. I will hold off until I get the fenders rolled as this may all be done by the body shop and there is a small rust spot on the front of the hood where it rubbed up against the body a long time ago.

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow once the roads completely dry out.

Last edited:

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just took a nice 30 minute drive around town. Got several thumbs up and one cyclist who said he love my car! The car runs and idles well with the zeniths and was a little peppy but I am looking forward to about 100 more horsepower with the new B35. I think the Nardi wheel was the hardest thing to get used to. It's very solid and fairly small compared to the wheel on my M3. I hope it's not too late to put leather driving gloves on my Christmas list.

I did fill her up and noticed a smell of gasoline in the cabin once I rolled the windows down. I opened the trunk and didn't smell anything in there so I will go investigate that once I can put her on the lift. It could just be that I have never owned a car with carbs and am just getting used to the smell of it burning a little rich once I restarted it.

In any case, it was an awesome feeling to drive it around and after some very careful washing, I'm looking forward to getting it properly detailed so the paint will really pop.

Oh yeah, and the Style 5's, lips rolled, VSR1 front dam painted and installed......

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Benji,

check the condition of the fuel line running up the firewall (from under the car) toward the carbs. if the trunk doesn't smell like gas ... then that is a likely place to look. my old bavaria had that issue.

scott

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
forward, into the past....

Looking good Benji...wish I could say that I've made as much progress..still want to get our cars together for a play date, but it might be spring...I think we are going to have a real winter for a change.
Dave V. in western NC

bdyton

Reaction score
Most likely the line from the fuel filler neck to the plastic tank on the right hand side of the trunk. The tank also vests to somewhere else. This Is why the car smell of fuel.............