Wood steering wheel recommendations for my manual steering E9?

Timothy Wood

Reaction score
I own a 1972 3.0 CSi. I am looking to buy a wood steering wheel. My E9 has manual steering. As such, the diameter should not be to small. Any recommendations? Thank you, Tim

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Tim,
3.0 Csi with manual steering? Power steering was standard on all csi’s which is why I’m wondering?

kind regards
Keshav

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Concierge mechanic posts helpful photo for client…..

Attachments

• IMG_5225.jpeg
    IMG_5225.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 59

John-T

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nardi makes a variety of wood steering wheels for BMW.
If you do a search "show your steering wheels" you'll find a lot of information, as well as couple of authorized dealers that other member have purchased from.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love the look of the Nardi Stering wheel. Not the best for driving but looks great

Attachments

• 4Z3A4078.JPEG
    4Z3A4078.JPEG
    121.5 KB · Views: 39

Timothy Wood

Reaction score
Hi Tim,
3.0 Csi with manual steering? Power steering was standard on all csi’s which is why I’m wondering?

kind regards
Keshav
Keshav, I do not have an answer as to why; nevertheless, it is manual steering. Sold new in Italy where it remained all its life until my recent purchase.

Timothy Wood

Reaction score
For a manual steering I string recommend you a leather one.
If you sweat a little bit, you wil lose the grip.

Breiti
thank you
Nardi makes a variety of wood steering wheels for BMW.
If you do a search "show your steering wheels" you'll find a lot of information, as well as couple of authorized dealers that other member have purchased from.
thank you

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keshav, I do not have an answer as to why; nevertheless, it is manual steering. Sold new in Italy where it remained all its life until my recent purchase.

Hi Tim,
you‘d definitely want at least a 38cm wheel. If you are running original size tires (195/70/14) you won’t have a problem with a 38cm wheel…..with wider tires, it’s more ‘cumbersome’.

Honolulu

Reaction score
I have the pictured Nardi also. Comment: the edges of the spokes are not "sharp" but will be very unpleasant on a car without power steering. I had a 1969 2500 (E3) sedan without power and it was ... unpleasant.

A person of modest ability can get a strip of leather and use a hammer, nail, and patience to perforate the edges, then hand stitch it over the rim (and spokes if desired) - BTDT. But then you cover the wood, making the change pointless.

Leather and stitch colors and patterns can make for interesting results. Such work is well documented on Youtube.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just for your enjoyment ; have a look here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/show-your-steering-wheel-s.26664/
16 pages of pictures with e9's and e3 with various steering wheel options. It shows tons of options, also in wood variant.

I personally have a (well 4 of them in various state of repair/despair) Petri VDM Wood wheel, an original E9 option. It's 425mm (42,5cm), so very well suited for non-assisted steering:

This website has some nice pics of the details of it:

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a 36" Nardi with adapter, horn button and beauty ring. I recommend a larger wheel but you can have all of it for 275. Also check with @Hans W. for Steering wheels.

Timothy Wood

Reaction score
I have a 36" Nardi with adapter, horn button and beauty ring. I recommend a larger wheel but you can have all of it for 275. Also check with @Hans W. for Steering wheels.
I am interested in your wheel. My exiting wheel is 390 mm = 15.35". essnetially the same size. Can you please share photos? if easier, [email protected] or by text, 415 518-1985

Thank you, Tim

Timothy Wood

Reaction score
Just for your enjoyment ; have a look here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/show-your-steering-wheel-s.26664/
16 pages of pictures with e9's and e3 with various steering wheel options. It shows tons of options, also in wood variant.

I personally have a (well 4 of them in various state of repair/despair) Petri VDM Wood wheel, an original E9 option. It's 425mm (42,5cm), so very well suited for non-assisted steering:

This website has some nice pics of the details of it:
thank you

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am interested in your wheel. My exiting wheel is 390 mm = 15.35". essnetially the same size. Can you please share photos? if easier, [email protected] or by text, 415 518-1985

Thank you, Tim
I'm sorry it is not 36" it is 360mm - smaller that your current wheel. If you are still interested let me know and I'll post a picture. I'll give a call now too.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a Volvo that became manual steering when I blew the pump belt...