WTB--The float in the brake reservoir

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My e-brake indicator light kept flashing red. I found the float was half full of brake fluid. The seam must leak so tiny that the fluid will not come out.
Has anyone drilled a small hole in the float to allow the fluid out and found a product that will seal the seam and drilled hole and still allow the piece to float?

Will this new style float work with the original float system? note the 2002 reservoir is the same as the E9 system.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bet JB Weld would fix it. Or get the new top and swap the float parts if you want to keep the original appearance

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
JB Weld is a good idea. I wonder if the float in the EBay pic comes off and will fit on the original assembly. Has anyone tried that?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Discussed in this thread

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, we spoke. My float is only partially filled at this point but the rubber grommet is shot. When the time comes, I will use a 27G needle to remove the fluid from the float, piercing along the seam. For now, I have used Permatex gasket maker to replace the grommet, its weight still allows the float to float. I am actually going to let it sit in fluid in a cup for a week or two to see how the Permatex holds up before actual use in the reservoir. If that works, I will use it to repair the seam and 27G hole when I need to.

I wonder if I could use the newer float and just leave a "nubbin" of the plastic shaft and then tie it to the brass shaft using electrical shrink tubing and using a hairdryer set low to shrink the tubing without melting anything. I am going to put a piece of shrink tubing in brake fluid as well to see how that holds up. I used shrink tubing to repair the snapped arm on my glasses, 2 concentric layers, and it has held up for a year. Of course, not caring about making any fashion statements at my age.