WTB Wood trim (4) pieces for interior door panels

The Driver

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in need of the interior wood trim on the doors and back panels (four pieces). At this point I really don't care about matching it with the dashboard wood. I've started to drive the car occasionally and the missing trim bugs me... I've searched on the parts forum and no luck (I posted this same request a long time ago, and I can't seem to find it anymore). I've contacted Bela as well. The professional restored wood from Madera or CoupeGuy is too much, even if it's gorgeous.
FYI - the attached pic is Gwyneth (my 1974 3.0CS) getting an alignment after getting new shoes (Azenis FK450 I think, replacing her original RE71s - on non standard Racing Dynamics wheels).

Any suggestions on the interior wood trim are greatly appreciated!

George

Attachments

• Gwyneth alignment March 2017.jpg
    Gwyneth alignment March 2017.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have a set of rears in fair condition. I sold the fronts already. Let me know if interested.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Driver,

I set up a jig to make these out of solid wood. I have them in my car and get lots of compliments (unless everyone is lying to me). Where are you located? I am making a set for Terry Sayther's CSL and I'll take pictures and I can even match the dash color. The grain is harder to match since I use Poplar and they can be made shiny or flat- whichever you prefer or you could make them yourself with the same wood and a belt sander (with different belts {really important}), router and a bit of patience. If you want to try it let me know and I'll give you some tips.

Peter

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Driver,

I set up a jig to make these out of solid wood. I have them in my car and get lots of compliments (unless everyone is lying to me). Where are you located? I am making a set for Terry Sayther's CSL and I'll take pictures and I can even match the dash color. The grain is harder to match since I use Poplar and they can be made shiny or flat- whichever you prefer or you could make them yourself with the same wood and a belt sander (with different belts {really important}), router and a bit of patience. If you want to try it let me know and I'll give you some tips.

Peter

That's very cool, Peter! I'd love to see how you did that & how they look

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
We should have a US source for door wood! In making it I guess the choice is been working with weather resistant plywood + veneer or solid wood. The pieces are small enough that material cost should be small and questions would be
-ease of working and finishing
- long term stability versus warping or peeling
I know there have been previous threads. It's also been suggested to me to consult a boat builder for proven approaches.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We should have a US source for door wood! In making it I guess the choice is been working with weather resistant plywood + veneer or solid wood. The pieces are small enough that material cost should be small and questions would be
-ease of working and finishing
- long term stability versus warping or peeling
I know there have been previous threads. It's also been suggested to me to consult a boat builder for proven approaches.
matching grain in solid wood is more difficult - to look like a continuation from the dash wood to the door wood. solid wood is more prone to warp, but is less apt to dry out + have veneer crack. veneer is more often able to get figured wood patterns

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ours is french walnut
lets not get ahead of ourselves yet, the french are still part of the european union ... so theoretically french walnut is european walnut ... okay, not all european walnut is 'french' walnut. unless they fly a french flag on their walnut trees. seriously, there is not much difference - overall, there has more to do with which direction the veneer is cut in and where on the log the veneer was cut from - flat cut, rotary cut or quarter sawn makes a huge difference. in most cases european, french or american black walnut are almost indistinguishable. if you get into english crotch walnut (from the bottom of the tree) it can look very different

Last edited:

The Driver

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

I'm definitely interested. I don't care as much about matching - as long it's not completely different.
Sorry for the late response - been traveling this entire last week. Glad to be back in San Diego - weather here beats New Jersey by a mile:).
I'll PM you as well.

Regards,
George

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Driver,

Peter
Hi npete;
My son made a jig also and made his out of solid wood.
Koopman

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Sandhu,
The search function on eBay.co.uk sucks and I've spent a lot of time looking for this... assuming it's still for sale, can you point me to the item number? Thanks much!
George

Hi George
Item number 162482884101
Seller name 09palma09
London Uk

Good luck

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just an FYI.
There is a lot of veneer on Ebay. There are many factories in the Indiana area that still cut veneer.
Most of the pieces are 7-9 inches wide and 4-8 feet long.
How your veneer looks has a lot to do with how you finish it but basically the original veneer I see in coupes has very modest figuring. That is a trait of French Walnut.
American walnut has more design to it and it is more pronounced.
Just a quick look I found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walnut-raw-...224035?hash=item3614625aa3:g:GaEAAOSwOddYx0cl

Probably not long enough for the passenger side dash piece. But you get the idea.
Cruise though Ebay every few days and you may find what you need and it actually very inexpensive.

BTW I have a set of door trim both front and rear. I need to look at it and see what the condition is.
Get back a little later.
Gary

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the pieces that I have.
Veneer is ok but not great.
Front trim seems to be bleached out more than back .
Structurally they are fine.

IMG_8413.JPG