CSL steering wheel question

schnell540

Reaction score
My CSL has what I think (thought?) is the standard CSL wheel, which is made out of rubberized something. But I have heard rumor of leather version. So, CSL experts, what is the truth.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 380mm sport CSL wheels came with leather and the 400mm steering wheels came with the rubberized grips, while many of the 400's have been redone in leather at some point I presume.

It's a matter of preference, but most people preferred the more sporty feel of the smaller 380mm version. Not certain, but I think most CSL came with the 380mm wheel.

Albert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

Gerrit

Reaction score
From 3/71 on, the Petri sportswheel with satin chrome spoke and immitation leather foam rim was available from BMW in 350, 380,400mm. The 380mm with real leather/hard rubber rim came in service in the fall of 1972 for the CSL to replace the Alpina/MOMO wheel that had been in use up to that time in the early CSLs. Parallel to this, those Petri wheels were also available aftermarket in satin chrome or with matt black spokes.
Hope this helps...

Gerrit

Yannick

Reaction score
I would like to add some comments to Gerrit’s posting.

We often see pseudo “CSL” steering wheels for sale on eBay. Those steering wheels just are BMW 380mm (or 350mmm or 400mm as Gerrit mentioned) sports - rubber - steering wheels. Those have never been a “CSL” part.

A genuine “CSL” steering wheel definitely is a 380mm leather steering wheel (at least for the late model “Petri-BMW” to replace the early "Alpina/Momo" model as Gerrit said).

I also would like to add a remark about the hub behind the “CSL” steering wheel. As a matter of fact, this hub also is “CSL” specific and often is forgotten as we only speak about the steering wheel. View the lower Scheel bucket seats and the special - different - driving position resulting from the bucket seats, the “CSL” hub is 2cm longer than the stock hub (e.g. hub sold with the sports - rubber - steering wheels).

A further remark about Gerrit’s comment “... came in service in the fall of 1972 for the CSL to replace the Alpina/MOMO wheel that had been in use up to that time in the early CSLs”. The remark is correct ... but on paper only (Happy to challenge you Gerrit !).

As a matter of fact a big number of the early fuel injected LHD CSLs (2275 xxx) left the factory with the "old" (Alpina / Momo) steering wheel. Not sure the exact reason for some of them to leave the factory with the “old” wheel and other to leave the factory with the “new” (Petri-BMW) wheel but this is a fact. I am almost convinced there was no true rule for this.

The guy at the factory simply using the “CSL” wheel that was available.

My first CSL +2275 333+ was a one owner from new car and still had the Alpina/Momo wheel. On the other hand +2275 272+ which also is a one owner from new CSL owned by a friend of mine has the Petri-BMW wheel.

Also speaking about one owner form new CSLs (the ones I am sure of) I can tell you that +2275 052+ still has the “old” (Alpina/Momo) wheel.

My assumption is that Alpina/Momo steering wheels disappeared from the BMW inventory around Vin +2275 350+. From this car on, all CSLs should have Petri-BMW steering wheel. Gerrit, comments?

schnell540

Reaction score
...The 380mm with real leather/hard rubber rim came in service in the fall of 1972 for the CSL to replace the Alpina/MOMO wheel that had been in use up to that time in the early CSLs...

What Alpina/MOMO? The "standard" four spoke that everyone puts on their e21 like this one: [Broken External Image]:http://www.wallothnesch.com/d/pg/g111.jpg

And to make my CSL Petri wheel correct do I get it recovered in leather?

Any suggestions on where to do that?

I assume the "true" CSL wheels are too rare to even think about finding one....

RogerB

Reaction score
Yannick said:
I would like to add some comments to Gerrit’s posting.

We often see pseudo “CSL” steering wheels for sale on eBay. Those steering wheels just are BMW 380mm (or 350mmm or 400mm as Gerrit mentioned) sports - rubber - steering wheels. Those have never been a “CSL” part.

A genuine “CSL” steering wheel definitely is a 380mm leather steering wheel (at least for the late model “Petri-BMW” to replace the early "Alpina/Momo" model as Gerrit said).

I also would like to add a remark about the hub behind the “CSL” steering wheel. As a matter of fact, this hub also is “CSL” specific and often is forgotten as we only speak about the steering wheel. View the lower Scheel bucket seats and the special - different - driving position resulting from the bucket seats, the “CSL” hub is 2cm longer than the stock hub (e.g. hub sold with the sports - rubber - steering wheels).

A further remark about Gerrit’s comment “... came in service in the fall of 1972 for the CSL to replace the Alpina/MOMO wheel that had been in use up to that time in the early CSLs”. The remark is correct ... but on paper only (Happy to challenge you Gerrit !).

As a matter of fact a big number of the early fuel injected LHD CSLs (2275 xxx) left the factory with the "old" (Alpina / Momo) steering wheel. Not sure the exact reason for some of them to leave the factory with the “old” wheel and other to leave the factory with the “new” (Petri-BMW) wheel but this is a fact. I am almost convinced there was no true rule for this.

The guy at the factory simply using the “CSL” wheel that was available.

My first CSL +2275 333+ was a one owner from new car and still had the Alpina/Momo wheel. On the other hand +2275 272+ which also is a one owner from new CSL owned by a friend of mine has the Petri-BMW wheel.

Also speaking about one owner form new CSLs (the ones I am sure of) I can tell you that +2275 052+ still has the “old” (Alpina/Momo) wheel.

My assumption is that Alpina/Momo steering wheels disappeared from the BMW inventory around Vin +2275 350+. From this car on, all CSLs should have Petri-BMW steering wheel. Gerrit, comments?

This exchange between Gerrit and Yannick has been very informative. My otherwise correct early CSL (2275030) "Town kit" car has an incorrect rubber 380 Petri on it now. It came to this country with an "Indianapolis" wheel, which I know was also incorrect. I have always believed it should have the "old" Alpina/Momo on it. What are the chances of finding one of these and for sale and at a reasonable price? Also, how difficult would it be to find the leather covered 380 original CSL Petri?

Roger B

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would like to add a few more tidbits to this CSl/Petri steering wheel discussion. While having never owned a CSL, I have owned two CS coupes in the last twenty years and prior to that quite a few more years yearning for one. Throughout the years, I've gained a fair amount of knowledge and facts on the various CS models, from the CS's, CSi's and to the CSL's.
At the moment, I have both the 380mm and the 400mm Petri/CSL steering wheels, with the smaller wheel fitted onto my CSi.

The Petri drilled 3 spoke sport steering wheels were made out of metal came in three versions, the 380mm and 400mm rubber gripped wheels were coupe specific, with the 380mm leather wrapped wheel being CSL affair exclusively. The 350mm rubberized grip wheel was a 2002 option item, fitted with a 2002 hub but could be adapted for coupe use with a CS hub. This is not a good option as the 350mm size is too small for the coupe. The aforementioned Petri black wheel was never offered by BMW nor have I ever seen one.

The Alpina/Momo was also a drilled 3 spoke wheel, finished in a anodized black finish. Like all Momo steering wheels, they were made from aluminum. It's believed the Alpina/Momo was the standard 380mm size, it
basically look like its smaller cousin, the 350mm Momo PROTOTIPO that's
more associated with the 'special' Porsche 911's during the early 1970's, such as the RS, RSR, and the Carreras. The later 4 spoke style Alpina wheels were not offered until the late 70's and early 1980's

The mounting hubs between the Alpina/Momo and the Petri wheels were completely different and were non-interchangeable. The Alpina used the traditional Momo 6 equally spaced hex mounting screws while the Petri wheels used 6 non-equally spaced patterned hex screws.

Here are some interesting facts about the Petri/CSL wheels and hubs. According to the CS parts catalog, the CSL wheels and hubs came as one unit with none of the associated components are availabled as separate parts, so owners of these prized wheels, do not damaged the hub as they were 'not available' even when new. The hub is probably rarer and scarcier than the actual wheel itself.

There were no specific CSL only steering wheel, the 380mm leather wrapped wheel was it, while it could be ordered along with the 400mm affair for its lesser brothers, the CS's and the CSi's. The part number for the 380mm wheel is 32-33-1-112-244 and 32-33-1-109-738 for the 400mm wheel. There are no markings on the wheels themselves but the specific part numbers are stamped inside the hubs, differentiating its size. As for the size of the hubs, the 380mm hubs are 4 inches in height and the 400mm hubs are slightly smaller at about 3-11/16 inches in height.

I have the old orange parts catalog along with the newer binder type parts catalog that is being offered by BMW MobileTradition, both editions do not mention or refer to the early Alpina steering wheels. I've found various ommitance of parts from even from the latest BMW parts catalog, so the lack of information on the Alpina wheel does not surprise me.

CSL experts and afficienados, please chime in if you have further relevant information or correct my misinformation if I misinterpreted my facts.

Albert
72 3.5 CSi(L-jet, Getrag 265 5 speed)
88 M6

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
alpina wheel

i think i have one of the original alpina moma wheels as above described. i bought it off german ebay last year....if anyone has interest in any markings or wants pics let me know.
ccr

schnell540

Reaction score
Re: alpina wheel

i think i have one of the original alpina moma wheels as above described. i bought it off german ebay last year....if anyone has interest in any markings or wants pics let me know.
ccr

Pics, yes! If you don't mind either post em or you can email me directly at schnell540 at yahoo dot com.