original velour and carpeting, where to find?

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Velour material.

Hi John, I ordered dark blue material 3 years ago and was short about a half a yard. I would like to ask you a favor.I would like to send you a small sample of my fabric so that you could match it to what you ordered. If it is the same I also would need the info on how to order some.
Thanks and contact me if I can help you in anyway.
Koopman
PS. If anyone needs small amounts for repair I have some of the original fabric that was removed from the seats and would be glad to send some to anyone who may need some.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry - didn't post the cost of the corduroy fabric. It was 76€ per meter from BMW. The fabric comes in 63" width.

John

John,

There are 3 different types of "corduroy" (center panel) fabric. Can you post some pictures of what you have?

peytonplace

Reaction score
Hi Luis:My seats and all my fabric are with my upholsterer and I won't have access to them for a while. I do have small samples of both fabrics that I purchased and have attached a photo. The samples are pretty small, so I'm not sure if this will be of help or not. If the photo doesn't come through, send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it.

John

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Posting picture for John.

BMW%2520fabric.jpg

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Posting picture for John.

BMW%2520fabric.jpg

So after a trip to the local BMW dealer in Cologne today, here is what I know...

The center fabric in blue is available, there are 42 square meters left in the system and then there will be no more, if careful 2 meters will do all four seats, I ordered three to have a spare in case something happens to one of them, am also considering another 2 meters to make a custom seat cover for the driver.

The black center cloth is NLA in the BMW system, they also checked all dealer inventory in the UK and Germany.

For the velour side panels, what I found was made by FUCOTEX article number 40840, it is a very close but ever so slightly darker than a piece from the back of the back seat that has never seen the sun, it is impossible to match any other way due to sunlight fading the original material. It also looks correct next to the center fabric, hope this helps, regards, Rob so about 14 lucky owners around the world have a chance to get the center fabric and then, as we say, the story ist kaput.

Gernstetter

Reaction score
So after a trip to the local BMW dealer in Cologne today, here is what I know...

The center fabric in blue is available, there are 42 square meters left in the system and then there will be no more, if careful 2 meters will do all four seats, I ordered three to have a spare in case something happens to one of them, am also considering another 2 meters to make a custom seat cover for the driver.

The black center cloth is NLA in the BMW system, they also checked all dealer inventory in the UK and Germany.

For the velour side panels, what I found was made by FUCOTEX article number 40840, it is a very close but ever so slightly darker than a piece from the back of the back seat that has never seen the sun, it is impossible to match any other way due to sunlight fading the original material. It also looks correct next to the center fabric, hope this helps, regards, Rob so about 14 lucky owners around the world have a chance to get the center fabric and then, as we say, the story ist kaput.

Visited Franz Dopper today in Gummersbach....great place, car heaven, blue velour as close a match as I can find....

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Black Velour

Hi Guys,
A couple of years ago Maximillian Imports had the Black Velour.
Good Luck
Koopman

John S

Reaction score
Hi: The Dopper part number for the dark blue velour is P 91 11 322. I also discovered, with the generous help of a friend, that the NLA, impossible to find, dark blue corduroy fabric that is used for the center of the seats is now available from BMW in Germany. I tried to order it through my local BMW dealer and was told that it was not available in the US. Again, through the help of my friend who has contacts in Germany, he was able to arrange for a friend who lives in Munich to purchase enough of the corduroy fabric to redo all four of my seats. That fellow then shipped the fabric to me in the US. The BMW part number for the corduroy is 51 92 1 817 333. Hope this helps.

John

I placed an order with BMW for 4 meters of the blue corduroy cloth today. Now I need to get the dark blue velour from Dopper. How many meters do you think I would need of the velour to do all 4 seats in my coupe? Do the guys at Dopper speak or read English? Do you think that they would ship to me in the U.S.? Thanks for all of the helpful information,
John Sieraski

Last edited:

Gernstetter

Reaction score
I placed an order with BMW for 4 meters of the blue corduroy cloth today. Now I need to get the dark blue velour from Dopper. How many meters do you think I would need of the velour to do all 4 seats in my coupe? Do the guys at Dopper speak or read English? Do you think that they would ship to me in the U.S.? Thanks for all of the helpful information,
John Sieraski

I would get three meters 2 should do it, but a spare never hurts, I am going to have a seat cover made of both fabrics for the drivers seat. Not sure about the shipping, but try to use Itranslate app on your phone and send them an email in German, if that doesn't work I can ship it to you if they ship it to me, post office DHL just down the street from me, regards, Rob

peytonplace

Reaction score
The folks at Dopper do read and reply in English. Send them an email at [email protected] . I ordered 3 meters of the velour to do all four of my seats; I think two meters is enough, but I wanted to have some extra just in case. When I bought mine in December, the price was 69€ per meter. The shipping charge to the US for those three meters was 42€. Dopper uses DHL for shipping, but the US postal service made the final delivery of the package to my door.

John

QUOTE=John S;106949]I placed an order with BMW for 4 meters of the blue corduroy cloth today. Now I need to get the dark blue velour from Dopper. How many meters do you think I would need of the velour to do all 4 seats in my coupe? Do the guys at Dopper speak or read English? Do you think that they would ship to me in the U.S.? Thanks for all of the helpful information,
John Sieraski[/QUOTE]

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Excellent. I will place my order for 3 meters. Thanks,
John

Just got the BMW cord fabric today.... Ever so slightly lighter than the car....so if you order, be prepared to change all four seats if you are as anal is I am....the good news is that the available bmw cord is fine with the Dopper velour, regards, Rob

John S

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Rob. All 4 of my seats are in poor condition and so all 4 will be redone. Right now I've got some nice Scheel seats installed, but really want to go back to the stock seats.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Rob. All 4 of my seats are in poor condition and so all 4 will be redone. Right now I've got some nice Scheel seats installed, but really want to go back to the stock seats.
i'll bet there are some of us that might be interested in the scheel seats

John S

Reaction score
Thanks

Hi: The Dopper part number for the dark blue velour is P 91 11 322. I also discovered, with the generous help of a friend, that the NLA, impossible to find, dark blue corduroy fabric that is used for the center of the seats is now available from BMW in Germany. I tried to order it through my local BMW dealer and was told that it was not available in the US. Again, through the help of my friend who has contacts in Germany, he was able to arrange for a friend who lives in Munich to purchase enough of the corduroy fabric to redo all four of my seats. That fellow then shipped the fabric to me in the US. The BMW part number for the corduroy is 51 92 1 817 333. Hope this helps.

John

Thanks John,
I was able to get both fabrics because of the information that you posted. I'm very happy with what I received from both BMW and Doepper. I must say that the people at Doepper were a pleasure to deal with. Now I just need to figure out where I go from here in regards to getting the original seats redone. I was even thinking of asking World Upholstery if they would make me some covers using my provided materials. I'm open to suggestions on where to get my seats done now that I have the raw materials.

Any suggestions getting seats reupholstered Santa Cruz, San Jose, San Fran, Bay Area?

Cheers,

John S

Raw Materials (probably more than I need)--

BMW Corduroy Part#51 92 1 817 333--

Doepper Blue Velour (Doepper part #P 91 11 322)--

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks John

Oddly, that part number is the one number that's missing on the Doeppler web-site. What was the current pricing? You all know that the prices include tax, so if you have it shipped to the US you would be paying roughly 20% less. It might pay to have one larger shipment done, to save on shipping charges, if a bunch of us in CA are interested. I'd be willing to be the L.A. hub....
I just sent him a email inquiry asking for any shop discounts (unlikely in Germany). I even used my German Dipl.-Ing. title because it sometimes has a little clout over there ;-)...

Last edited:

John S

Reaction score
Cost

Hi Tom,
I can't remember the exact cost, but will check when I get home. You have to pay via an International Bank Transfer which cost me an additional $45 fee at my bank. Plus the shipping was pretty expensive too. Franz- Josef Doepper didn't recommend having to fold the cloth for shipment, but to ship it as a roll would have cost a lot more. I had to agree to ship the cloth folded "at my own risk" because he said the creases might be a problem. I have the cloth rolled up now.

John
-------------------------------------------
EDIT:
Blue Velour from Doepper (#P 91 11 322):

69 €. per meter of the cloth

40 €. shipping 4 meters folded in a box to Santa Cruz, CA

= $435 for 4 meters shipped to my door + $45 bank transfer fee == $480 for 4 meters

If shipped as a roll, would have cost ~250 €. shipping

Firma Doepper [email protected]

--------------------------------------------
The BMW Corduroy (Part#51 92 1 817 333):

$350 for 4 meters shipped to my door. Rolled up in plastic and folded in a box. Ordered from Steve Peterson (BluntTech) [email protected]
Some web sites like Tomkinson listed the part as NLA.

I e-mailed Steve the part number and requested a quote. Had to be ordered from Germany ~2 weeks
--------------------------------------------

Last edited:

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks John

Why did he not charge you the price without the 19% MwSt tax since the material was exported to the US? I guess they don't want to deal with that sort of thing unless you ask. Did you notice any damage from folding the material? Also, is the material just a flexible as the original material was? In your estimate, do you need about equal amounts of the cord and the velours material to do the 3.0 seats? Seems like a decent estimation to me...

If anyone else wants to order some material, let me know and we can consolidate back and shipping fees.

Is was able to find the cord material on the Tomkinson web-site or maybe I had it added there.

Last edited: