Help… Opinions, comments, more opinions please!

BlueCar

Reaction score
+10
Also consider side marker delete and radio antenna placement. Very expensive after the fact, but relatively cheap if you already have paint budgeted. Look at lots pf photos.

Not sure what you mean about side markers… Ok, the side markers in the rear? The antenna is on the RF fender.

Mario has quoted me a pretty hefty price, so "hopefully" he's one to over quote rather than under quote, so customers don't get freaked out when it costs more! I am going to try to convince him to let me do a lot of work that I can do. I could, in theory, remove all the interior prior to it going to the shop. I can work on interior stuff, I can source stuff too. So…

And there is this car, right next to me, it has the bumpers.. Perhaps other parts, is it worth it as a parts car? I could then part out what I don't use. I'll run this by Mario...

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/bmw/3.0cs/1718948.html

It's basically apart, this car.

BlueCar

Reaction score
It would appear that the upper fender areas have been worked on and to me look like they're in decent shape. The rockers and floors look original and need the scrutiny and assessment of someone like Mario to help put things in perspective.

Best of luck!

The front end has been replaced at some point, fenders, hood, nose I think. That is all quite good. The rear is another story...

BlueCar

Reaction score
THe big bumper make excellent picnic benches and do protect from idiots in parking lots.
Don't be talked into something you dont need.

But if you are going to restore the body, you do not want to change your mind about the bumpers later.

Go to VSR1 and see a bunch of E9's with the smaller bumpers, then decide

Some of the cost to convert overlaps with any full body resto anyway. The parts start around $1500. So I think it should be well less than $7k if part of the restoration.

The small bumpers are better looking for sure, but…

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
hüte dich vor dem Rost Dämon

Adria

Expect the unexpected. It is impossible to know the extent of the rust until you start tearing apart the car. Ask me how I know.
My rust remediation at VSR ended up costing me twice as much as Mario originally quoted.

Take a look at Sven's webpage. It is informative and frightening at the same time...not for the faint at heart!

http://www.larsenarchitect.com/BMW/Restoration.html

BlueCar

Reaction score
Those are great photos showing rust and remediation process. I suspect mine is similar. I am prepared for the worst, but I try to put my positive side first, wishful thinking ya know!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Incredible walk down restoration lane

Sven's pictures are amazing! That someone would go through that process is simply breathtaking- I hope to see that car up-close one day- and I hope to never have to do that to an e9, a Shelby- OK, but the fitment issues I can imagine on Sven's car need an architect, engineer, physicist, thoracic surgeon and an exorcist! As usual, I am humbled!

Thanks Sven and Bez for posting the link-

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would inject a note of caution on your expectations of the restoration. I am not sure you will be able to work on your car at Mario's shop.

The reason I say this is that Mario's insurance coverage the shop probably does not cover him if you were to experience an injury, injure an employee or another customer, and/or damage a vehicle in Mario's care while working on your vehicle in his facility. In each of these situations, Mario could be opening himself up to a large uninsured liability. And even if you would never dream of suing Mario, depending on what happens, it may not be up to you. It is a sad fact that this possibility may preclude a sharing of the work at his shop.

I think it would be wise to plan to strip the car elsewhere, and then deliver the shell to Mario for body work.

BlueCar

Reaction score
I guess that's what I was thinking, before the car goes to him. I do know that me puttering around in his shop is not good. However, I do want to go visit when my car is there! Plus he said he could give stuff to me to refinish or source as they take it off.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Adria

Expect the unexpected. It is impossible to know the extent of the rust until you start tearing apart the car. Ask me how I know.
My rust remediation at VSR ended up costing me twice as much as Mario originally quoted.

Take a look at Sven's webpage. It is informative and frightening at the same time...not for the faint at heart!

http://www.larsenarchitect.com/BMW/Restoration.html

My experience with body work at VSR1 is that his quotes were right on the money. But the work was easy to estimate, the amount was low ($6k range), and Mario told me the likelihood of hidden problems was near zero. Ask him what the range of possibilities are so you know how good or bad it might be. Budget/plan for the worst and if you are fortunate then you can take a vacation with the savings.

John

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Adria, I went through this post and it looks like you are planning on going through with the restoration, which is cool. I purchased a car from Mario and he definitely knows his stuff so if you are going to have him do the job why don't you ask him what the best course of action to take is; for example, if you bring him the car, or lots of pictures, ask him what you should do to make things easier and less expensive for him that way you won't be doing the wrong stuff. For example, I like to leave the rear tail lights in the cars when taking for paint, that way the lines can be matched up, and as we all know some German guy whittled each rear light assembly by hand on his back porch so they all fit a little differently, just stuff like that. Mario may have someone who removes glass for less than you can (don't forget the possibility of cracking it). I think working with the shop before you deliver the car may be a good way to shave off some dollars and I think Mario might appreciate it.

Not sure if that helps- but...

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess that's what I was thinking, before the car goes to him. I do know that me puttering around in his shop is not good. However, I do want to go visit when my car is there! Plus he said he could give stuff to me to refinish or source as they take it off.

Adria

Your foresight is better than mine. I now wish I was more proactive in doing closer inspection of the belt line trim before they were removed so that I could send to them to Speedway for refinishing. Now that they are back on the car...it is next to impossible. A huge mistake.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
remove parts

Try to remove as many parts as you can. Label everything even if you think it is obvious. Video with your smart phone if possible.

Mario and his team did a bare metal respray of the Great White and I can tell you that even for someone with minimal experience and few tools (ask John Feng and Chris Macha) I was able to remove everything except the windows. That allowed me to clean and paint a bunch of parts (not to the extent of OCCoupe) and to send parts off to Speedway (who does phenomenal work)

Removal is always easier than reassembly but with help that too may be accomplished. Perhaps the New England E9 folks could descend upon southern VT and help with the reassembly?

BlueCar

Reaction score
What is Speedway? Yes, I'm going to find out from Mario what works best for him as far as removing parts and what I can do on my end to help him and hopefully save some money. I would not go as far as the glass, I'll let them do that. There are some things that don't work any more in the instrument panel, clock, odometer which could be a trans problem. So I'm not sure how to go about that, the clock could be wiring as I could the radio. Radio is coming out anyway. But interior parts that need paint I can do, any chrome or aluminum polishing I can do, plus I can source out the upholstery myself. I am definitely not someone who just gives the car to someone to do all of it, same goes for my house...

A reassembling party would be great!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Speedway Poloishing
1979 South Ritchey Street
Santa Ana CA 92705

Dan Ross - (714) 542-7778

Mario can send all non-working dash gauges, clock, speedo etc to a place in CA to have them fixed and cleaned. Reasonable price