WTB: Nice E9

floridabmx

Reaction score
ec106846416e779821daf1b809cb9ad0.jpg

Robert A

Reaction score
Yes - still looking. Lots of options out there just have not found the right one yet...
I've been toying with selling my 70 2800cs message me. Can't seem to pause a picture of the professor from my iPad.
Robert.

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Still looking. Ideally I would like to find a 3.5l modified car with a 5 speed. If you are considering selling, let me know.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i know of 4 cars (including my malaga) that are no longer listed.

All sold for asking price.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alan, you're kidding right???? I was enjoying the humorous banter.
Surely you passed on the "screaming deal." Apologies and good luck with that one Buddy if you didn't.

Steve

The e9 Urban Myth, perhaps not, is that Karmen(sp) shipped the unprotected shells on open freight cars to the factory for assembly. And who knows how long they sat outside before Hans and Franz returned from their month's summer vacation.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
so what are you going with
id "TRY" AND GET A CSL"
and never look back
you just cant go wrong with that
theres one for sale now.
i wonder if you get the one below your post and reverse the setup
thinkin back -if back then when i got mine cs in 86, i would have found a csl
iwouldve done that

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
so what are you going with
id "TRY" AND GET A CSL"
and never look back
you just cant go wrong with that
theres one for sale now.
i wonder if you get the one below your post and reverse the setup
if back then when i got mine in 86
iwouldve done that

The OP had a low water mark of $40K for a 'nice' E9. I'm not making any assumptions but this lofty recommendation of yours is financially on par with recommending a $150K 70's air cooled 911 to someone interested in their first Porsche.

About the RHD sunroof CS, A $60K+ RHD restored and converted to LHD will still be a modified CSL. The actual restoration cost is another ball of wax that the OP hasn't really expressed interest in so far.

I'm sure many members wished they purchased a CSL back in the day. Like now, I'm betting that they bought the nicest e9 that they could justify (not necessarily afford) at the time. I'm not quite sure how the "That's what I would have done in 1986" recommendation applies.

Last edited:

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, the justify vs. afford debate is ongoing. Just because one can afford it does not mean they can justify the spend. The 300% increase in the CSLs also gives me some pause. Why were they worth $50-100k 5 years ago and are now all of a sudden worth triple that amount? I get that the demand went through the roof but why? Have the historically low interest rates contributed to this bubble and what happens when rates go up?

The search is fun. My E36 M3/4/5 will keep me entertained while I continue looking.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Happy New Year bump! Where did all of the E9's for sale go? Listings have really quieted down over the past 4 weeks.

We may have entered the market phase where the most effective search for a good E9 is through the obituaries.
How is that for sarcasm :).

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Hi Alan, I have an E30 M3 and an E9. Though M3's have risen in value quickly, the market is very different for E9's. Not everyone who wants a decent e9, can find one.
E9 owners are are typically older and are less motivated to sell, simply for the $$. Hence, the choice of a full-on restoration. Many of us were faced with
cultivating resources, who have the patience and skill for the e9. Apparently, you're in for the long haul. Welcome aboard. If you haven't seen it, this film short illustrates the fruit
of long periods of e9 sweat equity: http://www.iconoclast6.com/Video/?p=786

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Chuck - yes, certainly a different market for the E9's vs. the E30 M3. I am still keeping an eye on the E30 M3's and may purchase another if the right one presents itself. How would you compare your 325 to the M3? When I first started looking for and E30 M3 I was advised to just save my money and get a 325is instead.

I do see that the E9 community is notably older than the E30 - not a huge surprise. I am 38 years old and have an appreciation for all things vintage. It will be interesting to see how many younger BMW enthusiasts pursue these cars in the future. It seems that total cost of ownership is higher with the E9 which is one reason you don't see as many younger owners.

I did check out the video - lots of great cars and E9's featured. Hopefully my search will lead me to a nice one for my own garage.

-Alan