WTB: CSi airbox

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey chaps, as per title really, after a CSi airbox to replace a corroded one. Located in the UK, is anyone able to help me out?

Regards,

Ahmet

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will have an extra to sell, but not soon
I will send you a pm with my email and if you don't find one in a couple months let me know

Wladek

Reaction score
Sorry for OT: i'm not selling or buying one, because only have for my project. Just curious how much is worth one in good shape? I know they are pretty rare and don't show very often, i really didn't saw any for sale in last year (mainly ebay). Don't know why, but from what i read before all spares everyone is keeping for themselves (even if have 4-5), why?

P.S. If this is not public info - just please P.M.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for OT: i'm not selling or buying one, because only have for my project. Just curious how much is worth one in good shape? I know they are pretty rare and don't show very often, i really didn't saw any for sale in last year (mainly ebay). Don't know why, but from what i read before all spares everyone is keeping for themselves (even if have 4-5), why?

P.S. If this is not public info - just please P.M.

I sold mine for $150 to a local member last year. I bought four new ones recently for $200 each, which included shipping from Germany, plus new clips. They are all sold btw.

Wladek

Reaction score
I sold mine for $150 to a local member last year. I bought four new ones recently for $200 each, which included shipping from Germany, plus new clips. They are all sold btw.
Thanks for reply Markos!
Just want to ask one thing - these new filter boxes are grey or black? Originally all where grey or not?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for reply Markos!
Just want to ask one thing - these new filter boxes are grey or black? Originally all where grey or not?

Oh sorry for the confusion. They aren't new, just new to me. The proper color is a dark grey with a tinge of green, almost olive drab. I ordered about 20 powdercoat samples and none of them were close. A member/friend is going to shoot them with custom mixed paint.

Wladek

Reaction score
Oh sorry for the confusion. They aren't new, just new to me. The proper color is a dark grey with a tinge of green, almost olive drab. I ordered about 20 powdercoat samples and none of them were close. A member/friend is going to shoot them with custom mixed paint.
I have mine also in that "grey" - just wanted to confirm original colour. Thanks!

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark
I wouldn't be surprised if they came in grey and black
I know a lot of parts were that grey but I think the one air box I bought was originally black, there is no evidence of it being repainted

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark
I wouldn't be surprised if they came in grey and black
I know a lot of parts were that grey but I think the one air box I bought was originally black, there is no evidence of it being repainted

I'm pretty certain just from researching here that they didn't come in black. The air boxes are 40 years old and prone to rust. I think that it was pretty common to repaint them.

Here is some discussion on the colors: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/air-filter-box-recovered-and-painted.20852/

BTW - If you have yours in Seattle we are going to paint them sometime in the future. I need to weld a few holes shut on mine, as I took the worst of the lot.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
The one I picked up is in original paint, it is an inbetween mix of grey, olive drab and rust.

Mostly rust.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The air box on my 1976 E3 was black. I was the second owner and got the car with low mileage.
I believe BMW made a transition sometime around then

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This was my note:

Powder coat: RAL 7022 b35 air cleaner/matches D-jet

I used RAL 7043 "Verkehrsgrau" on our 1970 2800 air cleaner

I know some will disagree but it is extremely hard to match. I had paint custom mixed to do the 2800 struts and subframes as they were also grey/green but darker.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I followed De Q's reference for Ral 7022 and took the old air filter box with me to the paint shop.
They looked up this RAL and called it Umbragrau which in their brand is code CA89 No1
We actually used the colour charts to check it with a part of the air box that was protect and hence still had good paint. It seemed the same when viewed in natural day light.
I got 0.4 litres made and have plenty left over. I cleaned up the air box, used a used rust killer, then self etch primer, then this rattle can.
The result makes the rest of the engine bay seem old and dull, so I just made myself more work.
Mine is a 1972 build phase 2 CSi and it was grey / olive from original.
C

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just requested RAL 7012, 7021, 7022, and 7043 samples from prismatic powders. I'll do a little comparison when they arrive. I don't doubt Chris's outcome, but it will be helpful for folks to see the colors side by side, on top of an old airbox lid.