75 e9 Headlight upgrade

nathanegger

Reaction score
Can someone send me the post showing upgrading the headlight bulbs. I believe it was an original Hella HD? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This question gets asked a lot, what if I use the H1 Lo Beam with City Light? If you use this combination the U.S. Hi/Lo stalk wont activate the outer Lo Beams when Hi is selected, the solution is a jumper wire.

H1 City Light Jumper

Under dash disconnect white 5 wire harness junction block from hi/lo switch. Pull forward to get access. Remove yellow spade and yellow/white spade which are side by side with a thin screwdriver to release the retaining barb on the spade. Remove old spades and jump them with new spades and a second wire, perhaps blue, from each spade. Reinsert spades in the same positions and connect junction block.

DSCN2932.JPG

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This question gets asked a lot, what if I use the H1 Lo Beam with City Light? If you use this combination the U.S. Hi/Lo stalk wont activate the outer Lo Beams when Hi is selected, the solution is a jumper wire.

H1 City Light Jumper

Under dash disconnect white 5 wire harness junction block from hi/lo switch. Pull forward to get access. Remove yellow spade and yellow/white spade which are side by side with a thin screwdriver to release the retaining barb on the spade. Remove old spades and jump them with new spades and a second wire, perhaps blue, from each spade. Reinsert spades in the same positions and connect junction block.

View attachment 41030
This post is a perfect illustration of why the E9coupe.com forum is so great. So much marque specific knowledge, willingly shared. I stay away from the Jaguar, Aston, Lamborghini, etc, etc, forums because of the hidden agendas and infighting. This place is the opposite. It is awesome...and apparently addictive :rolleyes:
Cheers!
Dan

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This post is a perfect illustration of why the E9coupe.com forum is so great. So much marque specific knowledge, willingly shared. I stay away from the Jaguar, Aston, Lamborghini, etc, etc, forums because of the hidden agendas and infighting. This place is the opposite. It is awesome...and apparently addictive :rolleyes:
Cheers!
Dan

My one and only experience with the Jag forum. A very quick read:

http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91305

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went with H4/H1 City Lights several years ago. Athena's headlights rival the adaptive Xenons on our 2010 & 2014 X3s

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
My one and only experience with the Jag forum. A very quick read:

http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91305

HAH! posts like the one on the jag forum really help put into perspective what sad lives some lead. BTW Markos, if it makes you feel any better you are more than welcome to sell me any of your rare vintage steering wheels for a great price anytime.

lloyd

Reaction score
The easiest upgrade is Hella H4 lo beams and Hella H1 high beams, plug and play, they are not HID. Around $50 per lamp.

I'm not sure the original poster made clear what type of upgrade he had in mind, be it lighting type or just increased wattage. FWIW, although I have no personal experience with them -an alternative to halogen might be led replacements.

61kLNRkRT2L._SL1010_.jpg

61vQVpTxXML._SL1024_.jpg

71ONFPLWEHL._SL1024_.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure the original poster made clear what type of upgrade he had in mind, be it lighting type or just increased wattage. FWIW, although I have no personal experience with them -an alternative to halogen might be led replacement

there are several routes, yes,

IMHO, halogen looks appropriate and period correct, while LED, being much more efficient and better looks awkward in our cars, i can not define better, but to me is like a spit of light in my eye, (i know that some think that an angel eyes "upgrade" looks cool in our coupes but this is obviously not my cup of coffee)

i have never seen a proof of what an H4 instead of the H1 can do, i assume that is the double filament of the H4 working together instead the single filament of the H1 what makes the difference, ...sounds good, i guess you have two filaments and slightly higher wattage (from 55 to 60 ?)

another possibility, in principle i will not be infavour of increasing wattage, from 55 to 100 is the usual trick, but it will be advisable to stream that current through a relay if doing so, and probably upgrading your alternator will be interesting too

BTW, trick number 1 might be simply installing a relay to bring fresh direct current to your H1 low beams, (valid upgrade for early cars, i am told that later cars (>73) have the relay already)

my 02" i can live with the standard H1 low beam as i frequent those small empty roads, to me is more important to have an extra in the high beams so i went the route of driving lights that add to the high beams and i am comfortable with them

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those Hellas are avail in the UK for about $60/ea. I buy stuff from the UK all the time and as long as it’s shipped via Royal Post the shipping is quick and cheap.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
....hmmm it seems that co-members of James25 must've shared the same sentiments as us Markos ; it seems he's been "banned" LOL

I'm sure most of us have run across the FaceBook E9 page. I saw a posting by a fellow there saying that the guys on that e9coupe.com forum were a bunch of stuffed shirt jerks and he'd never be seen on there. I checked his profile, and I'm not surprised he didn't feel he'd fit in here. He had a lot of pics of over the top race cars and slammed custom cars along with alcohol-themed memes. To each his own, as my mother used to say.