Outer rocker cover removal

John S

Reaction score
Any tips on removing the outer sill covers on a coupe?

Each sill cover on my 1974 3.0 csi seem to be held in place with a couple of rivets (one at the front and one in the rear). Are there any other rivets or bolts attaching the cover that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
--John

steve in reno

Reaction score
John
That should be all there is unless a PO has added more fastening points.
Mine only had 2-4 screws per side.
Drill out the rivets with a drill bit the same size as the center of the rivet.
steve

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My cover panel has a bunch of screws. You need to remove the stainless steel door threshold trim (4 screws) first. Then under that should be 4 screws the connect the top leg of the trim into the rocker behind. Along the bottom I had 5-6 very small screws. These were hard to see under the paint. Use the correct size screwdriver as these stripped easily. At the rear wheel well there was a screw into the panel flange. I do not recall if the front end had a screw. Be prepared for all the dirt and rust to fall out...

Good luck.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Outr rocker cover

Sven is correct if the cover has never been removed--also be prepared for the screws to break off if your Coupe has lived in a wet environment--just replace them with s/s screws after cleaning up the hidden issues beneath the cover. If a sunroof car you will discover what I have suggested--remember where those S/R drains were originally routed at Karmann--ingenious!!

John S

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I see 10 small screws on the bottom now. I haven't yet removed the door threshold to see the screws on top. Mine also has a rivet where the sill cover connects at each wheel well (front & rear). It all looks to be original. I'll let you know what treasures I find in there. :lol:

1974 3.0 csi #4340036 - No sunroof

--John

tmason

Reaction score
Is this something you should do to see if you have a rust problem or to keep from having one?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Found under outer rocker cover

there is almost a 100% chance you will find some rust beneath the ORC. If your car has only known the Sahara desert and has never had a hose spraying on the car you may find it dry and rust free--just clean off the silt.

The major cause for rust/corrosion lurking beneath the ORC starts with driving the car--e.g.--here in California it's dry 9 or 10 months per year--but as these cars are driven the front wheels will drive silt from the roadway beneath the ORC and the inner rocker structure--the moment that silt is exposed to water you have a mud pack and when you continue to drive you are "fanning the flame of oxidation" from the rush of air in that environment--and if you have salts are chemicals present it is faster yet--so it takes very little time to break through the paint barrier and reach metal. The first 12-18" aft of the front wheels and less than a foot from the rears is fairly typical--so have a look and be prepared to take action to corrrect what you will/may find behind the ORC.

tmason

Reaction score
Well,I took your advise and removed my ORC and you were right! Big problems with Dream Coupe or at least problems that need attention. With holes the size of your hand at back sections and about half that size in the front sections and I wonder what would be the best way to fix this?Should you use a chemical to neutralize the rust and than cut out for replacement with new metal and weld it up?I don't drive in wet whether so I don't know
if you need to worry about more rust. Thanks Tim P.S. I am trying to figure out how to post photos (not so good on computers)