How many is too much?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wasnt looking, honestly. But when you see an ad for a 79 528i with 95K miles, original owner, blue CA plates, all service records from day one, complete toolkit, great interior other than cracks in the blue leather driver’s seat, what would you do? Yes, it’s an auto box but that keeps it very affordable, and I have a spare 265/6 if I want to swap.

Unfortunately the barn find 2800 that Mike and I own may need to find a new caretaker, we shall see.

27069FE4-C2A5-444F-BD55-03D5196A35D9.jpeg
529CBB71-AA1A-4057-B0E3-70C6D9C24237.jpeg
05F23A5E-3FC2-444F-80F2-24D4D782D14C.jpeg
20BB262C-6F2E-4FB3-A98F-49E3D0277076.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have always liked that car Chris. when my son was born in the mid 80's, i got Elaine one of these. i love the fan control switch around the analog clock. the '80 + '81 had the same switch around a digital clock ... i greatly prefer the analog clock. i didn't remember the chrome side mirror. i thought they were black. perhaps that was the '80. i know the 530i ('78 + before) had a different mirror mount - mounted below the window, not in the corner like this. i think i prefer the e12 to the e28 ... a little more nimble, but would benefit from more power.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have always liked that car Chris. when my son was born in the mid 80's, i got Elaine one of these. i love the fan control switch around the analog clock. the '80 + '81 had the same switch around a digital clock ... i greatly prefer the analog clock. i didn't remember the chrome side mirror. i thought they were black. perhaps that was the '80. i know the 530i ('78 + before) had a different mirror mount - mounted below the window, not in the corner like this. i think i prefer the e12 to the e28 ... a little more nimble, but would benefit from more power.

The early e12’s had chrome mirrors. It is a common backdate item. E12’s and e28’s share the same doors so you can backdate an e28 with chrome e12 doors and mirrors.

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, I've always felt that the more choices you have, the more 'wealthier' you are. If nothing else, pull it off the market and be a caretaker for it for now, the car will eventually find the proper owner - there's always a demand for clean original well maintained cars. Plus E12s are starting to get more love lately. Now what's this about the 2800........?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The early e12’s had chrome mirrors. It is a common backdate item. E12’s and e28’s share the same doors so you can backdate an e28 with chrome e12 doors and mirrors.
great to learn this ... i had no idea even though i had both at the same time ... but that was 25 years ago

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@HB Chris,

I know from the CL thread that these have been enticing you for a while now. If you have the desire and family support for lost driveway or more
storage - I say go for it! I find them quite alluring also.

great to learn this ... i had no idea even though i had both at the same time ... but that was 25 years ago

Cool! Here is some interesting reading:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you are correct Chris ... basketweaves look great on the e12. especially 15" in lieu of 14" ... bbs rs would also look great

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
you are correct Chris ... basketweaves look great on the e12. especially 15" in lieu of 14" ... bbs rs would also look great

Don’t overlook the 7x14” FPS “Alpina” wheels offered. Definitely an option for the early e24. I haven’t checked e12’s.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would have ignored the wrath of "her" for this car as well. Thats a beauty. Even has a place to sit and have coffee at the front during C & C. I love it.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hear ya.

This Saturday, going to take a look at a '73 roundie that checks all the right boxes for me.

*sigh*

Imagine if I was single!