SFBay: 1974 3.0 CS Project - $OBO?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This looks like it is worth an inspection. Not sure if anyone wants to register 4335280. No mention of the car there or here.

Car is temporarily unavailable - additional parts and photos to be added to sale. Please check back in a few days.

Rare 1974 BMW 3.0 CS for resto

Rare, 1974 BMW 3.0 CS E9, twin two-barrel, automatic trans, IRS, power windows, California car & title for restoration. Comes with nice set German BMW Alpina 15"alloys and near new Dunlop tires, additional set of 4, 16" alloy wheels w/low profile tires, seats, many trim pieces, emblems, door latches, brackets. No rust in shock towers, pan is clear, very minor surface rust underneath. Clear California title, $700 back DMV fees, smog exempt. Missing front/rear bumper, has been sitting about two years, does not currently run but most everything is there. Will need to be trailered. Serious only reply.

414FBFD2-98F3-4ABF-8BD9-0C26BAF38A14.jpeg
6D3A0421-3F46-4A6C-9313-7757982E07A9.jpeg
14C80E4D-5D8A-46CB-9E5C-2857FA11CFD3.jpeg
3D4A61E3-5CC9-46B8-9683-0948AA345A76.jpeg
DDC1D287-84E2-44B4-8BC4-000D8EE0155C.jpeg
E2B73780-6924-4D39-B687-C038B175A476.jpeg
95B2D49E-7119-49EF-A650-A72125C55050.jpeg
454E1AE4-825D-4033-84C7-808513041063.jpeg
46C0D010-11A1-49F1-A3DE-B3CD9C3E79FD.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks pretty dang good.

Sux has no price on it.

I have no need for another project right now, but I asked the seller what price he had in mind. He replied around $10k. He said to check back in a week or two when he gets a few things settled. I think he was a little premature in posting the ad...or wanted to see how much interest it generated. $10k doesn't seem out of line to me for that car if it is as described and pictured.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have no need for another project right now, but I asked the seller what price he had in mind. He replied around $10k. He said to check back in a week or two when he gets a few things settled. I think he was a little premature in posting the ad...or wanted to see how much interest it generated. $10k doesn't seem out of line to me for that car if it is as described and pictured.

The seller is probably determine whether he should buy the car and flip it.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, admitting that you have no room for another project right now is the first step in getting it. This could be a great deal, and you know you want one. Don't give up, stay in contact. don't let this one get away. ;)

2002turbo

Reaction score
He says he is trying to get the paperwork together, and bristled when I asked whether he had a title .. so something smells in the state of Denmark.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It does say "California car and title" early in the ad, then later "Clear California title". I've had multiple responders to my Craigs List ads ask questions on things that were clearly spelled out in the ad and I probably bristled at a few.

I do wonder what he means by "trying to get the paperwork together".

2002turbo

Reaction score
Having a title and having a negotiable title are two different things ... and project cars are often problematic with the "negotiable" part. The name on the check has to be same as the name on the title, or the last assignment. You can't assign a title if it's not in your name, or assigned to you.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Having a title and having a negotiable title are two different things ... and project cars are often problematic with the "negotiable" part. The name on the check has to be same as the name on the title, or the last assignment. You can't assign a title if it's not in your name, or assigned to you.
You're right. Every state is different. I didn't know the car was not titled in the seller's name.

Here in Washington it wouldn't make a difference. There is no such thing as a "negotiable title" here. When I register a car that I have purchased, the Department of Licensing does not ask to see a copy of the check I paid the seller with. I present the signed title that I got with the car (which may have been released by the owner prior to the person I bought the car from), pay sales tax and licensing fees and the DOL issues me a new Washington title.

Some states may require some sort of proof that the person you bought the car from is the same as the person that is on the title, but not here. Showing the DOL/DMV a copy of the check you paid with seems a little odd. Is that actually how you show proof?

2002turbo

Reaction score
Negotiable title means the person who signs off on the title has the same name as the person whose name is on the title, or the last assignment on the back. John Smith cannot assign a title that is not his to assign. The check thing has nothing to do with DMV, but you are a fool if you pay someone for a car that does not belong to them.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Negotiable title means the person who signs off on the title has the same name as the person whose name is on the title, or the last assignment on the back. John Smith cannot assign a title that is not his to assign. The check thing has nothing to do with DMV, but you are a fool if you pay someone for a car that does not belong to them.

Perhaps, but this is the most common method for flippers to turn a vehicle quickly without having to pay for title and registration (or acquire a dealers license). So there are many fools buying cars from folks that aren't on the title. This car is clearly in that camp, which is why the ad is "offline" for a few days. He was floating the sale price to calculate demand and profit.

About four years ago I had cash in hand to buy a 1988 E30 M3 from a tow auction. The night before I was searching craigslist for values. Lo and behold there were numerous new picture-free ads of 1988 E30 M3's for sale. All flippers posting bogus feeler ads, looking to gauge value and demand to inform their max bid.