Hello! from Sweden

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum, my name is Alberto, 35 years old, I am from Mexico and I been living in Sweden for about 4 years.

I found the forum and wanted to share a car that I found and I am in the works for buying it, here I share some pictures.

The car is in really bad shape, but it's been a long time that I want to start a project and my budget is really limited.

what do you guys think?

thanks again for letting me be part of the forum!

Alberto.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 205

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bienvenidos Alberto! That's going to take a bit of welding! There are some great project blogs here where you can see welding work done by other members as a guide.
Just to start...
Tom

Reaction score
Bienvenidos Alberto! That's going to take a bit of welding! There are some great project blogs here where you can see welding work done by other members as a guide.
Just to start...
Tom
Thanks Tom! I will take a look, do you think the chassis is worth the trouble?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Welcome Alberto. Run! Run away! Run as fast as you can! ;)
Hello dang,
I am 50/50 in this one, its my closest chance to get a project like this that I can afford.
The guy is asking 3500 (in US dolars) don’t know if it is worth it, it comes front and rear seats, dash, engine and transmission, front and rear suspension, 4 wheels and tires, diff, windows and more stuff.
The guy can’t tell if the car is complete, he got the car and store it.

Thanks for the help!

Alberto.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Honestly Alberto, you mention being on a budget...even if you have superlative welding skills, you still need steel panels to weld in as replacements.
Browse around the W&N site and start adding up all of the sheet metal you would need, and let that be your guide. just add it all into your basket and you can get a total easy enough (e.g., front and rear panels, A-pillars, 3 layers of rockers, spare wheel well, front nose, etc.). https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karosserie-blechteile/bmw-2000-c-ca-cs/katalogbild-41-05.html
You may find that the total gives you a different budget, and the notion that buying a drive-able fixer-upper for a higher price is the better bet.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You will spend just as much restoring a 2000CS as an e9 and still have a coupe that will be worth less than one half of an e9. And parts for a 2000CS will be even harder to find. This example has rust in all of the worst places and while there are owners here who could tackle such a task they are few and far between. You would need to do almost all of the body repairs yourself. I personally think this chassis is not worth the effort of even a seasoned owner. Always buy the best you can afford, this one will break your heart.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Alberto,
Welcome, and thanks for sharing your project. Smarter people than me on this forum will (and have) recommended you pass on this one. And they are probably right. But I am a fan of the long, tough project. If you can do nearly all the work yourself and have time (a lot of it), nothing will make you more proud than saving this one from disintegrating further than it already has. I will be watching keenly.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Alberto,
It such a beautiful, sculptural thing, sitting on its pedestal...a rusty coupe is such an alluring, seductive mistress. I have to agree with the above statements. I also have a parts car in almost that condition, and it will always be a parts car. I don't have the special skills mentioned, and at sixty-four years, definitely not the time. I think that a good, solid drivetrain and interior, or a not-rusty shell can be realistically saved, but difficult (unwise, would be my friendly advice) to save a car that has neither. My old comment several years ago about the Woody Allen movie "Bananas", where they attempt to clone the dead dictator from only his nose, needs to be kept in mind...
If I had a big flat farm, I'd have a rusty car sculpture garden in the back...

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Alberto,

Driving one of these beauties makes for much more inspiration and conviction when you dive into improvement projects!

This one is in your neighborhood:

These two are probably within shouting distance of the cost of replacement sheet metal and parts from W&N! AND you get to drive them!

Reaction score
Honestly Alberto, you mention being on a budget...even if you have superlative welding skills, you still need steel panels to weld in as replacements.
Browse around the W&N site and start adding up all of the sheet metal you would need, and let that be your guide. just add it all into your basket and you can get a total easy enough (e.g., front and rear panels, A-pillars, 3 layers of rockers, spare wheel well, front nose, etc.). https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karosserie-blechteile/bmw-2000-c-ca-cs/katalogbild-41-05.html
You may find that the total gives you a different budget, and the notion that buying a drive-able fixer-upper for a higher price is the better bet.
Hello Willem,
thanks for the link! I will check this!

Reaction score
You will spend just as much restoring a 2000CS as an e9 and still have a coupe that will be worth less than one half of an e9. And parts for a 2000CS will be even harder to find. This example has rust in all of the worst places and while there are owners here who could tackle such a task they are few and far between. You would need to do almost all of the body repairs yourself. I personally think this chassis is not worth the effort of even a seasoned owner. Always buy the best you can afford, this one will break your heart.
hello Chris, thanks for the input, this is what I was looking for, I was just looking at the positive side and was carried away. This is a quite rusted chassis, maybe I will let this one pass, thanks again!

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your comments, I am so happy that was able to enter the forum and have some guidance!

looking forward to continue learning, hopefully I can find something to put my hands on, I will let you know if the deal continues (not likely) or if I find something in better shape to start working on.

thanks again!

Alberto.

Reaction score
Hi Alberto,

Driving one of these beauties makes for much more inspiration and conviction when you dive into improvement projects!

This one is in your neighborhood:

These two are probably within shouting distance of the cost of replacement sheet metal and parts from W&N! AND you get to drive them!
Hi Willem,

well this ones are so nice to see, they are actually real nice cars!

maybe for those price ranges I would try to go for a E9 instead, but they will go up in price of course.

thanks a lot for the links, I been searching around my area and haven't seen this ones.

Alberto.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hello Chris, thanks for the input, this is what I was looking for, I was just looking at the positive side and was carried away. This is a quite rusted chassis, maybe I will let this one pass, thanks again!
Alberto, listen carefully to the car whisperes. They are politely telling you to RUN AWAY from the hulk. You say, and I quote, "I have a really limited budget." Long term you can't afford this car! I can't afford this car! Most of this forum members can't afford this car!

Steve

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Definitely less than the cost of sheet metal!

Vehicle history:
The vehicle was first registered on 16.04.1973 in Lahnstein on a company Waldemar Schmidt with the registration number EMS-WS 20.
In the further course of time 3 further registration plates and long-term owners are known.
Since May 2006 the vehicle is in current hand.
During this time the following work was carried out:
The vehicle was repainted in the original colour "taiga metallic), the radiator was renewed and a hydraulic power steering was retrofitted.
Also a cavity sealing with "Mike Sander" was carried out.
The vehicle equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission is in good original condition and has run approx. 123,000 km (speedometer read off).
The 2500 has a 2.5 litre 6-cylinder in-line engine with 150 hp.
It is an unwelded, largely original condition vehicle with original interior.
A Classic Data short report certifies that the vehicle an overall condition of 2+.
The reliable vehicle is ready for use after an inspection, an H-certificate is available.
Sale takes place according to § 25 UstG (no VAT identification possible)

Reaction score
Definitely less than the cost of sheet metal!

Vehicle history:
The vehicle was first registered on 16.04.1973 in Lahnstein on a company Waldemar Schmidt with the registration number EMS-WS 20.
In the further course of time 3 further registration plates and long-term owners are known.
Since May 2006 the vehicle is in current hand.
During this time the following work was carried out:
The vehicle was repainted in the original colour "taiga metallic), the radiator was renewed and a hydraulic power steering was retrofitted.
Also a cavity sealing with "Mike Sander" was carried out.
The vehicle equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission is in good original condition and has run approx. 123,000 km (speedometer read off).
The 2500 has a 2.5 litre 6-cylinder in-line engine with 150 hp.
It is an unwelded, largely original condition vehicle with original interior.
A Classic Data short report certifies that the vehicle an overall condition of 2+.
The reliable vehicle is ready for use after an inspection, an H-certificate is available.
Sale takes place according to § 25 UstG (no VAT identification possible)
thanks Willem!

I will continue the search, I am also looking to some bmw in USA, although that will involve bringing the car to Sweden, if I manage to do that, then it will be the move of the year. I quoted a container around 2000 dollars, only the transportation and was not including taxes, registration and the vehicle roadworthy clearance in Sweden.

have someone import a car from USA to europe?

thanks for all the help!

Alberto.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Alberto,
the easiest and cheapest import of classic cars to Northern Europe ( vehicles which are over 30 yrs old) is to the Netherlands. They have the lowest import tax rates, as far as I know. Easy to Google that and inform yourself. Of course you’d want to check with the Swedish authorities whether they will accept the Netherlands import and tax rules. Should be since Sweden is in the EU. Germany does.....
here’s a starting point.

Keshav