Alternator interchangeability with E12 E28 etc.

CeylonstonE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am missing an alternator and starter like most other parts... Car is 72 CS 3.0

Starter is interchangeable so I will look for an E12 starter.

Now my question.....
Is the alternator same as E12 or some other more common Bmw's with M30 engines ?

I found this but it says fits for 74. Is there a different alternator on 74 cars ?

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
1 wire vs 3 wire regulation comes to mind. This tells you if the voltage regulator is internal or external to the alternator. Both of my E9s (70 & 74 us) had external regulator near the battery, but now have been converted over to modern internal with the external bits removed.

jmackro

Reaction score
I found this but it says fits for 74. Is there a different alternator on 74 cars ?

I don't know the answer to that question (whether a '74 takes a different alternator than earlier cars) but the one pictured on the newparts site looks like what Thomas76 is describing: an internally-regulated model. That should bolt right on to your engine, provide better voltage regulation and simplify the wiring. It won't be 100% original for your '72, but it's what many of us have installed. If you install an internally-regulated alternator and are concerned about the appearance of originality, you can leave the old, external regulator in place with the wiring removed.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you are not trying to keep everything original, install a smaller fixed magnet starter motor such as the Bosch SR440 or SR441, they are a lot more efficient than the original starters.

Alternators from the e24 will fit too, and have a higher amperage output than the earlier alternators.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Right. I have an E12 no external regulator, alt on mine. I had to modify the bolt. Don't remember exactly what I did.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Trying to use a AL45x in a later bracket - you need to shim.

Coupe is AL45x
No bushings requires no ground cable
Bracket is narrow
Supporting bracket

Bolt changed:

05Hex boltM10X80107/197831111136251$1.11
05Hex boltM8X80107/197807119912558$2.89

e12 is AL41x
AL41x has bushings in it
and spacers
the brackets are different in width
the e12 bracket is wider
Supporting bracket

Ground cable

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
1 wire vs 3 wire regulation comes to mind. This tells you if the voltage regulator is internal or external to the alternator. Both of my E9s (70 & 74 us) had external regulator near the battery, but now have been converted over to modern internal with the external bits removed.

Hi Thomas

I too will be converting to a reman'd Bosch AL45X. Can you describe the changes to the wiring including the removal of 'external bits" for this internally regulated alternator?

Thanks!

Bill

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s very easy. You will remove the plug with three wires from both Alt and Regulator. Regulator no longer needed but you can leave it there for originality. There is blue wire from the harness that ends at the regulator, remove it from that Bakelite plug and extend it to the Alt D+ terminal. Main red wire goes from battery to Alt just like before, done.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
E12 installed

20151231_155238.jpg

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A little slow to the response but looks like others got you covered. Thats it! Even your charge light will function on the dash!

bluecs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When converting from original E9 alternator to E12 alternator,

A. Does the pulley from the E9 need to be used? Or is the E12 pulley the same as the E9?

B. There is a bolt size difference requiring shims. What exactly are those shims and where do they exactly need to be placed?

bluecs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
E9 Alternator is 55 amps. E12 is 65 amps. To what amps is it safe to increase the alternator?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have you considered buying a rebuilt e9 alternator at higher amp? Some of us have the BNR 85 amp from eBay. Plug and play although I reused my pulley. Amperage rating is a function of the alternator's ability to meet current demands from various loads (a/c, blower motors et), it doesn't crank it out all the time.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Further to Steve's comment, you can go as high as you want on amperage. The alternator has a mechanism to only provide the amperage you need.

bluecs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the E9 alternator pulley is the same as '75-'76 3.0si pulley?

I've checked RealOEM, but I prefer to confirm.