New(-ish) member / new owner of 1974 3.0 CS in La Jolla, CA

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've wanted to own one of these classic coupes for the longest time. I was first exposed 70s era BMWs through my friend's wicked little 2002tii during my Vermont ski-bum days in the early 80s. He had an E3 also, but I always craved the impeccable styling and performance of the E9. Responsible parenthood put me into a nice E46 for a while, and then a fun utilitarian E70 that I still own. Those cars just didn't scratch the itch. So I joined this forum last summer and began prowling around for the coveted E9.

A few weeks ago I found an ad on the E9 forum for this terrific example in polaris silver over red interior. The previous owner had the car serviced at La Jolla Independent BMW, which is located a few blocks from my home. Many of you are aware of La Jolla Independent, an amazing shop with great people starting with Carl, the owner. Carl vouched for the condition of the car and I contacted the owner right away to see it. The following weekend that E9 was mine!

During the past couple of weeks, the car has gone through a bit of sorting & upgrading at La Jolla Independent. The previous owner purchased a gorgeous wood & chrome Nardi steering wheel and all new wood paneling pieces for the interior. The wheel is on, but will need to pull the windshield to install all the wood dash pieces. La Jolla Audio is working up a proposal for a period correct Becker radio with modern Bluetooth components and speakers -- so it should look great & sound great. Getting some nice Coco mats in black & red too. I'm sure there will be a few other things to do, but mainly I want to get out there & drive this beast. Check out the link with photos of my E9 on the cover & inside page of our local Secret Car Club Newsletter.

Attachments

• Secret Car Club Events Newsletter 3:6:2021 - Secret Car Club.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 180

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's a photo from my driveway. The Austin-Healey is lurking behind; I imagine it is a bit jealous of the newcomer and is saying "Stay the bloody hell out of MY garage!"
1614837253017.png

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Same -- La Jolla, specifically Bird Rock, a few blocks away from La Jolla Independent BMW. We should meet at a Cars & Coffee event or something.

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My Austin-Healey 3000 is a 1966 -- so it is a Mark III model. Near the end of production in 1967. This is the model with the 3 liter straight six motor with twin SU carbs putting out 150 HP & capable of reaching 120 MPH when new. Great gearbox: four speed with elec overdrive on 3rd & 4th gears. Has roll-up windows and the nice wood dash -- this was the car Healey intended to compete in the market with E-type Jags. It is a blast to drive. Like the BMW coupe, it is an amazing combination of style and performance -- a rolling piece of art that begs to be drive -- and driven hard!

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
My Austin-Healey 3000 is a 1966 -- so it is a Mark III model. Near the end of production in 1967. This is the model with the 3 liter straight six motor with twin SU carbs putting out 150 HP & capable of reaching 120 MPH when new. Great gearbox: four speed with elec overdrive on 3rd & 4th gears. Has roll-up windows and the nice wood dash -- this was the car Healey intended to compete in the market with E-type Jags. It is a blast to drive. Like the BMW coupe, it is an amazing combination of style and performance -- a rolling piece of art that begs to be drive -- and driven hard!

Great stuff! I’ve personally been torn between the earlier 100 and then the 3000 mk3. I will concede that the convenience of the roll up windows is a huge plus, but I feel that the primitive nature of the earlier cars with Perspex side screens makes you feel like you are in a race car! The later models feel more like a usable car, but the 100 with its folding windscreen and bare bones feel make It almost impossible to choose a favorite model!

image.jpg

Have you ever read this one? Great stuff about all the big healey’s

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Never read that - there are so many great things you can find once you get into Healey World. I love my Mk III, but the earlier models are certainly more raw / primitive. I have only driven with windows rolled up twice in the past 5 years. The look of the earlier models without the convertible top are much more streamlined and beautiful -- the cockpit has the look & feel of a mid-century race car, airplane, or racing boat. Rarely ever use the top anyway. In between the Healey 100 and the 3000 is the 100-6 -- the first 6 cylinder engine. The early ones with the folding windscreen are really cool. Strap on your helmet & goggles & drive like hell!
1614924858661.png
1614924968474.png

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris- That is a crazy car for a high school kid. Amazing you survived those years! I rode a Honda CB360T in high school -- despite my mom's protests -- and somehow managed to make it to adulthood (my wife may disagree ;) ).
1614965964165.png

lytebrite

Deceased
Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase! My friend and I went down to drive the car before you bought it. Lovely car! See you on the 405!