73 CSI Melbourne

stcos85

Reaction score
Thought it was about time I posted up something regarding my CSI resto. This car was bought from the UK originally as a donor for a CSL I am restoring. When I got the car it was far more rusty than I had been led to believe and many of the parts were not going to be good enough for the CSL. I made the decision as it had an electric sunroof so was actually a fairly rare rhd car that I should restore it. Over a year of panel work to replace every rusty panel it went off to the paint shop. The car was originally beige which is one of my least favourite colours for this car(apologies to those who like beige) so I decided if it wasnt going to be the original colour I could chose whatever I wanted so went for Taiga Green. The car will be collected on Monday from the paint shop and the long slog of putting it carefully back together will start.

Looking for advice on where the best place is to buy a headliner and also will be retrimming the seats in Black leather so also would like recommendations on best place to buy seat covers IMG_2457.jpgIMG_2458.jpgFB_IMG_1618299816863.jpgFB_IMG_1618299821012.jpgFB_IMG_1618472648651.jpg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's weird how I don't like green cars but Taiga is one of my favorite colors! Nice choice!

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
I think a lot of people source their cover kits from World Upholstery but I believe Walloths now supply too. .
I would suggest getting some local trimmers to quote also .....Matt from Classic and European ( over your way ) is a supplier that has a good range of leather in all price ranges ; also has a very good quality black BMW vinyl ....not cheap but you will only need a metre or so depending on what you are replacing ..

stcos85

Reaction score
I think a lot of people source their cover kits from World Upholstery but I believe Walloths now supply too. .
I would suggest getting some local trimmers to quote also .....Matt from Classic and European ( over your way ) is a supplier that has a good range of leather in all price ranges ; also has a very good quality black BMW vinyl ....not cheap but you will only need a metre or so depending on what you are replacing ..
just looked up classic and european and they are not far away. will message them to see if they can help before I start looking overseas

stcos85

Reaction score
so if I go with black leather for the the seats are the door cards also done in leather or vinyl.

visited a local trimmer today and he can do them but concerned my seats are not original and copying them would be wrong. car was regist erred May 1973. can anyone show me an example of the seat patterns

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
the seats in picture above above have the earlier model pleats ...later models have horizontal ....I think your car is the latter but not 100% sure without checking similar month vintage . Why does the trimmer believe the seats are "not original". ?

In respect of door cards, black vinyl is quite common even if seats are leather

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When my interior was done we used matching leather on the lower door card to keep the basketweave material on the top which was dyed to match. Your vin will tell if it is early or late, does it begin with a 4?

stcos85

Reaction score
Moving onto the wiring. Unfotunately i didnt strip the car and now trying to work out how the wiring runs through the car and out to the rear. Worked out the front through the engine bay.
Anyone got any pictures or comments of how the wiring runs to the electric window switches(on the gear box tunnel or in the footwell) and then into the boot area to the lights

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wiring to the gear box tunnel comes from the loom running on the inside of the sill. It splits just in front of the front seat structure and runs in front of the seat structure (one or 2 of these folding tabs there) to the tunnel. The tunnel has a groove with a tab to hold the loom in place.
after the split to to tunnel, the loom continues to follow the sill up to the rear seat, where it passes under the rear seat's vertical panel (running left to right in the car). From there it follows the curve of the rear wheel arch up, and it goes into the trunk area at the top of the wheel arch.
Entry in to the trunk is at the height of the boot hinge, then continuing down into trunk to the floor height.

follow the tabs that are spotwelded to the body; they are a clear give away.

pictures do exist in the Walloth and Neesch pages; they show rough positioning only however. The split to the gear shift tunnel is not pictured (or akwardly placed under the dash?)
1619600538108.png

stcos85

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that provided some guidance. The wiring is now run in place. working on trying to tidy up the wood.

I have tried contacting World Upholstery 3 times with no success. Is there anyone else that I can try that does an equally good job