KW Variant 3 Suspension set-up

Rek

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted this kit to their car? I am trying to see whether this is something I should consider but want some feedback on what it's like on our cars, such as how does it drive and what is the stance like.

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
No-one? It seems a leap of faith for me then. They still offer it so there must be some people out there who have the product.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, considering you asked at 2am Monday and it is now only 10:30 on that same morning (here on the west coast of the US anyway), waiting for a bit more time for any input regarding your question might be in order...

Rek

Reaction score
My apologies. I had asked earlier on another thread. Whilst I am keen for answers perhaps the timing is a bit too keen.
It is indeed KW and not LW. I have fat fingers for a keyboard.

JamesE30

Reaction score
I have a KW (V3 full adjustable) set up I bought from Raab Motorsport in Windelsbach, Germany who developed the set up with KW, though I've never installed them yet. They're just sitting in a box waiting..
But I did go for a ride in and test drive in Raab's shop car and it was a fantastic feeling. Quite sophisticated and modern feeling, very refined. How he had the car set up was a great balance between aggressive and comfortable, perfect for a spirited/performance street car.
For my personal preference it could have been even a bit more aggressive, but with the possibility of full adjustability there is room to fine tune to each individuals taste.

I've had KW V3 on other BMW's and thought it was great so I have no doubt It was worth the money for the e9 as well.

As for the stance, you can see Raab's car below ( sorry not on flat ground). There was still room to adjust the front higher or lower, but the rear is fixed. They were working on an adjustable spring perch last year which I am waiting for. Though I haven't checked recently so It may already be available.

Their display example
IMG_6354.JPG
IMG_6352.JPG

Raab's car:

IMG_6359.JPG

My set up in black:

IMG_8300.JPG

Rek

Reaction score
Thanks for the response which is helpful. The stance is what I am looking for and I am glad you had a chance to ride in the test car and pass on your views. I am talking with KW in the UK to see whether they will fit with my front wheels which are 17" by 8" ET19 Alpinas. They seem very obliging and want to work out solutions for issues which is very encouraging.

As for the test car, it looks remarkably similar to my own car, even down to colour.

IMG_3659.jpg

JamesE30

Reaction score
Exactly, you just don’t have height adjustment on the rear, though that already might be available by now.

I actually have some adjustable rear springs from H&R which I planned to use if necessary until the kw adjusters were available.
Since were on the topic, check out this video review of some of the car at Raab with KW set ups, including the e9.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting.

The BCRacing coilover that I have (not installed yet) has adjustable rear springs for height adjustment:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so what is the pricing on the KW - K3 variant? @JamesE30 did you have to supply the struts or bought them already done?

i know the BC racing is a kit - you have to modify your own struts. i know that the ground control setup is around 2000 usd (including the modification of your struts). i think their price without the strut modification is less than 1000. GC has the rear adjustable spring setup.

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
Check out the “ca tuned” kit, I used them on my coupe and I couldn’t be happier, fully adjustable front and rear including dampening. Backs bolt right in, weld in the fronts, I finished mine in 2 and a half hours.

Rek

Reaction score
KW say that the kit will not fit with my wheel set up at the front so they offered to make a custom set for my car! Fantastic service. A little more expensive and made by their competition team but using road going valving and spring rates.

As for cost, around £2,500 + 20% VAT to HM Government.

daddywad

Reaction score
Sorry Guy, just seen this, I have that setup on mine and I am happy with the performance and the stance. Setup is great and i have no problems with the ride, I'm on 16" Alpinas though not 17.
This all from memory though ! back on the road very soon.
M

Attachments

• DSC_0609.JPG
    DSC_0609.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0613.JPG
    DSC_0613.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 180

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+ 1 Heinz Raab in Windelsbach, Germany. We were just there on Wednesday September 15th 2021. Mario Langsten from VSR drove the 3.0 CS with the coil overs & was very impressed with the suspension Raab offers. He was all smiles after driving that BMW.
IMG_7568.jpeg
IMG_7578.jpeg
IMG_7580.jpeg
IMG_7581.jpeg

JamesE30

Reaction score