Granatrot

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
In discussions with BaT, their data showed Wed and Thursdays yielded the highest closing % but that was a while ago before they started pumping so many cars through the system...
Numbers like these are really hard to understand when you dig into them. If they were selling 50 of the same exact car, like a new car, and they got those stats it would mean more, but selling random vehicles at random times doesn't tell us much.

We go through this with selling used auto parts. It used to be that a customer would find a business first, then ask if you had a particular part, which translates into knowing what customers are looking for. Now customers look directly for the part and the business that's selling it is secondary. This is fine if the search is done on your own website and you can capture search stats, but most of that data is collected by the googles of the world and we never really know what parts are highest demand. All we know is the highest demand parts for the parts we have in inventory.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Numbers like these are really hard to understand when you dig into them. If they were selling 50 of the same exact car, like a new car, and they got those stats it would mean more, but selling random vehicles at random times doesn't tell us much.

We go through this with selling used auto parts. It used to be that a customer would find a business first, then ask if you had a particular part, which translates into knowing what customers are looking for. Now customers look directly for the part and the business that's selling it is secondary. This is fine if the search is done on your own website and you can capture search stats, but most of that data is collected by the googles of the world and we never really know what parts are highest demand. All we know is the highest demand parts for the parts we have in inventory.
I will freely admit I don't know a lot about your business, but doesn't this suggest a potential business opportunity for you? What if you were to become a fufillment option for people looking for parts. Sometimes you sell from inventory, sometimes you would steer customers to competition, and sometimes you would obtain parts for those customers willing to wait.

If customers knew they would be more likely to find the part through you, you would potentially have a larger customer base.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will freely admit I don't know a lot about your business, but doesn't this suggest a potential business opportunity for you? What if you were to become a fufillment option for people looking for parts. Sometimes you sell from inventory, sometimes you would steer customers to competition, and sometimes you would obtain parts for those customers willing to wait.

If customers knew they would be more likely to find the part through you, you would potentially have a larger customer base.
That's pretty much how it works. We obviously want to sell our inventory first but if we don't have it we usually refer to someone who shows they have it. We also broker parts when we can but that introduces a lot of things you can't control. A LOT of places don't have accurate descriptions so you end up only using a handful of other yards you can trust, especially if they're drop shipping for you. We probably have one of the best inventories on the west coast so we get a lot of other yards brokering our parts instead.

It's a much more complicated business than people realize. Just one example is what I deal with... A 2015 Chevy diesel truck, wrecked, no parts sales history. How much do you pay for it? How much time do you spend evaluating it? Do your numbers help the next time one of those trucks come up for sale with different options, different damage, it's very time consuming for something that may not get any results at all. Friday I evaluated about 30 vehicles for parts vehicles and repairable vehicles. I was high bid on zero.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I think there are some fair assumptions you can make. I assume say that at least 75% of the cars sold on BaT are not daily drivers. This means that the cars are extra arguably “fun” cars. Excluding skilled trades, most people in a position to buy extra fun vehicles on a notably competitive online auction are in an office setting. Next assumption, most people in an office setting have access to the internet. Most people in an office setting work M-F. What they do on the weekend is a complete wildcard, but sitting in front of a computer or device likely isn’t the primary activity.

So as a seller, while closing M-F you have to be more compelling than work (not hard). On the weekend, you need to be more compelling than family, religion, competitive sports, home projects, etc.

Personally, I’ll take a weekday close over any weekend close every time.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i got the party started and have already been significantly outbid. this is a great looking car with a nice pedigree and wonderfully presented. big money ahead. would love to own it, but doubt i can outlast some future bidders.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, we finally made it! I asked this morning when it might go live as I have commitments later next week and then I got a text from a friend who saw the auction had posted. I rushed into the house to check my e-mail and bingo it was live. No more working on the Chamonix coupe today, I had just installed the passenger side strut, control arm and tension strut.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just threw my 2.5 cents in. Beautiful car, Chris. You should have no trouble. That's unless someone ask about the non-original muffler bearings ;-)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i will be quiet about it for a bit ... just putting my money where my voice should be. this is one of my favorite colors ... and this coupe is soooo nice.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Tyson! Others are welcome to comment as well but perhaps not all at once, I need to keep up the momentum for a whole week. :)
Chris - you'll find that the auction will get slow in day 4-6. Just let it take its course. You may want to write two separate post that outline as much of the history-1 of the early life and restoration and a 2nd post for say day 5 that goes into why the 3.5L was chosen and what the owners goal was with the build. Provide as much information as you feel comfortable with on explaining that the build of this level is not the work of a moment and the time and effort it takes to dial in the megasquirt etc. etc. etc.. You get my drift.

Last edited:

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I give the driving video two thumbs up! Lack of drone footage showing it sitting in a parking lot is going to lose you a thumb though. Seriously though, great presentation, videos and what a lovely car. GLWA!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris - you'll find that the auction will get slow in day 4-6. Just let it take its course. You may want to write two separate post that outline as much of the history-1 of the early life and restoration and a 2nd post for say day 5 that goes into why the 3.5L was chosen and what the owners goal was with the build. Provide as much information as you feel comfortable with on explaining that the build of this level is not the work of a moment and the time and effort it takes to dial in the megasquirt etc. etc. etc.. You get my drift.
I have a plan to release details as the auction progresses.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there is serious interest in the room ... some big early bids - jumping my bids by 15k to 20k. this is great to see, a wonderful coupe with a great presentation. if more coupes were presented with this level of detail / great photos ... there would be different results. haven't seen many of the traditional e9 gloom + doom naysayers appear yet. a lot of high praise.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there is serious interest in the room ... some big early bids - jumping my bids by 15k to 20k. this is great to see, a wonderful coupe with a great presentation. if more coupes were presented with this level of detail / great photos ... there would be different results. haven't seen many of the traditional e9 gloom + doom naysayers appear yet. a lot of high praise.
Well there was the one comment regarding fit of the doors and trunk which I can’t understand but the boys had my back!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Best stance of any E9 on 16" RS wheels.

Gorgeous!

1974_bmw_3.0cs_PW012-57691-scaled.jpg