[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
if anyone plans to come just ask for tips and directions, i will do my best to help
¡Este es cien por ciento verdad!

I emailed Jesus last night to let him know I'd be in Bilbao soon, and ask him for sightseeing advice. He replied promptly and enthusiastically. We have been in communication since then. As you might imagine, he is as thorough with his local knowledge as he is with making shifter boots and restoring espresso machines.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is the Bugatti Atlantic from the Mullins Museum in Oxnard California. I can’t even begin to imagine how much it must have cost to prep and insure and fly that car all the way to Bilbao and back…
Perhaps the insurance carrier actually gave the museum a rebate for the time the car is away from Oxnard :).

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the summer of '98 I went on a little road trip in my original e9. I left College Station, Texas and made my way up to State College, Pennsylvania. I zig-zagged my way there making several stops on the way to visit friends and see the sites. My plan had been to turn around at State College and head back to Texas. While there I met up with an old roommate who was also doing a bit of traveling. His next stop was Brooklyn where he was to stay with an old classmate of ours. That sounded like a good idea to me so I gave him a ride. I parked the car in Park Slope and enjoyed the city for a few days. Oh yeah, I also got a parking ticket. Who can figure out what those alternate side of the street parking signs really mean? Apparently not a hayseed from Texas...

As it happened there was a fabulous and ground breaking exhibit at the Guggenheim: The Art of the Motorcycle. I didn't know about the exhibit previously and it was just total dumb luck that I was there at the same time. I'm still really happy that the stars aligned that way.

Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 8.15.40 PM.png

We are heading to Spain soon, and Bilbao is to be one of our stops. Visiting Bilbao was chosen without concern for what's at the Guggenheim, and once again there just happens to be an exhibition devoted to stunning vehicles. Kismet continues! I expect I will take a bit longer to go through this exhibit than will my wife and daughter. Thankfully there are other nice exhibits on current display there as well.

Makes me wonder if I might find myself in Abu Dhabi 20 years from now and stumble upon an exhibit of wooden cigarette boats! Man, I'd be old if that were the case.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw the exhibit today. Very nicely done with the cars in the middle and related art and design arrayed around the walls of each room. A few highlights:

6A54A691-7A3F-4871-8B1E-C649562ECFE6.jpeg

An array of art car models.
50285F67-713A-48BE-9792-F4CB4B337D9F.jpeg

Calder and Stella.
215142D0-0E6C-4F5C-8115-B2F39106E432.jpeg

Outside the exhibit was a huge gathering of a Seat owners club. This is a 124 Sport. Seat is a Spanish auto manufacturer that produced cars under license from Fiat. Seat is now a part of the Volkswagen group.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
AE70F2B5-F71F-49DF-869E-D13FFB5795A2.jpeg

Ferdinand Porsche’s 1900 electric car. Electric motor in each front wheel. Designed when he was 25!
AC8A602D-21E8-4FC3-B0D0-839619408685.jpeg

Le Corbusier’s Voisin C7

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
805FDD12-A79B-4895-AED3-6CAA61CB476A.jpeg

Mini cut away.
000A2E98-CA51-4D8B-B985-57BC9624C787.jpeg
Citroen 2CV Safari. Citroen added an extra engine under the back seat to drive the rear wheels. Each engine had its own fuel supply and starter. Used in Africa by oil/gas/mineral companies.Very few were made and hardly any survived.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow! Fantastic exhibit of some top tier cars.

I love the Voisin!

As for the paint chip on the type 35, people actually use those a lot for events in Europe. I was just at the Mille Miglia, and there was a herd of them, all dirty and loud.

Try the fresh anchovies in Bilbao! Great tapas/pinchos there