E3's for Sale in the USA

I called on this one yesterday, sounded great, but asked for a picture of the small rust area on the driver's side frame rail. I got a video this morning...completely rotten and that would tell you there is more hiding.

There seemed to be a big discrepancy between the paint and the engine bay photo...

But... someone bought it:
 
My 1974 e3 Bavaria automatic GranotRot ONLY 54k original with new Dual Webers, gas tank, sending unit, so much more mechanical parts (and ALL records/invoices in a Staples Granotred-like folder too…smile) can be driven home…cruises so nicely @ 75 and minimal corrosion spots too…very nice Driver…feel empowered to actually see & test-drive car because pix only tells partial assessment story !! If anyone wishes to meet for test-drive, be bold and testdrive my car…just exercised it yesterday and thought - why am i selling this after i literally rescued & mechanically restored this ?! just sharing with open transparency ! thomas in westchester county but car currently in poughkeepsie ny storage…best wishes to all and your car projects !! AND can offer for free a full set of those rare rims in better shape than whats on car in pix
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4578.jpeg
    IMG_4578.jpeg
    792.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4577.jpeg
    IMG_4577.jpeg
    780.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 27
I've reached out to the seller to get a vin to confirm.
VIN 5050570
Seller states its a 1976 3.0S Bav

Still doesn't really make sense to me knowing they stopped branding them as bavaria's in 1974.

Anyone here know how to decoode the VIN?
 
This movie auction 72 4 speed is closing tonight. Last 2 went for about 4500 IIRC.


These were posted awhile back
Has anyone seen these? Interested in the overall condition, bodywork, paint, rust, etc.

I am across the country, but thinking about another project to play with. While I am less serious about a cross-country trip for an e3, I am starting to look for a nice driver quality 2002tii.
 
NMNA. Here's a '73 E3 on BAT:

VIN #3105151

The VIN (310) says this is a 3.0s Bavaria. Apparently they put a 3.3L motor in it, and then made a custom "3.3 S" emblem .. I assume they customized a "3.3L" badge...
 
Last edited:
NMNA. Here's a '73 E3 on BAT:

VIN #3105151
They were asking $90K a couple weeks ago on their website. I wonder what the reserve is?

A bit hard to believe but quite a few of the invoices from the 70's-90's are from shops that are still in business: Klint's Auto Top's, Auto Weave Upholstery, Jerry Stander Auto Body, Classic Restoration by Country Club Auto (became Farland), and, of course, Ralph Schomp BMW.
 
Back
Top