73 on eBay in Irvine

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would unleash Yannick on this one to be sure, but even I can see a few things:

- Left headlight sunk behind the grill
- Missing side grill black background
- US DOT headlights
- Peeling chrome on right side window knob
- Battery brand is Econo Power, english translation of El Cheapo?
- Oversprayed paint on front shock mounts
- Missing one speed (5th)
- Nice interior!
- Nice color!
- Nice wheels

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll add Walmart or worse off brand tires. Did some steering wheels come wrapped this way in leather?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the same leather bus wheel courtesy of Stan.

This coupe has paint on headlight door thumbscrews, rubber grommets and elsewhere. Hard to believe those A/C hoses hold a charge. Alu hose to air cleaner, European decals (EU style) under hood, Bolts on hood hinge missing, wiper motor, linkages and fan cover flat black with overspray, it sits like it has two pair of spacers on each strut, etc.

Last bid in 2010 that didn't sell was in $4000 range before he redid interior and it had paint flaws then. Not sure what he has really done since then. His feedback shows he sold a CSi a year ago so he buys and sells. Strange I've never seen it around here.

tmason

Reaction score
I love that color. Maybe that's why the high bids? Just thinking of a complete color change is probably 20K to do it right and that's most likely low so 30k for the car is a steal. (Honey what's our ebay password)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another small nit pick that says a bit about paint prep is that the lug nut in the spare well was just painted over.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the color really golf? Looks too yellow and not "day glow" enough too me. The color inside the door sills looks like golf to me, but the exterior is too mustard yellow. Something isn't right with this hue.
Scott

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This coupe came originally in Golf and was not a color change, it also most certainly isn't a $20K paint job. Are any of the bidders from our group?

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the color really golf? Looks too yellow and not "day glow" enough too me. The color inside the door sills looks like golf to me, but the exterior is too mustard yellow. Something isn't right with this hue.
Scott

This is also my observation when photographing Golf. I own a Golf car and it also loses the 'greenish highlighter' hue under most lighting conditions. Could be the car of course, since I haven't seen it but I wouldn't rush to say it's not Golf just due to the photography.

bombayflash

Reaction score
have been looking for a nice E9 for a while. seen them ranging from mid 4 to high 5 figures.
need help in getting this one checked out.
did these have 5 speed originally?
what is a good price?
small problems (i.e.lt. light, battery chrome etc..) are easily fixed.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
From my tracking of these over the last year, I'd say a great, great one is 30-45 K. A runner that might be decent is 15-mid 20's. Sub 10K and they might need 20K to be decent. Might need more if major structural surgery is required. Sometimes a deal pops up. I am picking mine up on Friday and I hope it turns out to be a deal.

The Price also seems to vary with Geography. The pickings are best in California in terms of numbers and condition. The market knows and values them in CA. Maybe a Gem pops up in Texas though. You need to be patient, cast a wide net and keep your eyes open. Good Luck.

Domimax

Reaction score
Chris,

Why does SCM only have these values: Low- 9.3 High- 16.5? Am new here and just learning so go easy one me!:p

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, many if not most coupes are private party sales so there is no record of selling price. Auctions generally have CSLs, not our CS or CSi coupes, and condition can be determined. SCM is auction focused, not eBay.

bombayflash

Reaction score
has anybody in Irvine seen this car to give some input.
the owner has contacted me twice re. details and apart from minor issues seems in good shape. has good compression.
seems high for the BIN price?
any suggestions?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
His buy it now does seem rich. Consider that last October "petert" on this forum sold his car in the low 40s and it was truly restored and looked great. It was also a neat, desirable color from the 70s, Ceylon gold. Car was in Santa Rosa Ca.
Scott

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Flash! I just saw what must be the car in this thread on a transporter headed north on the 405 near Long Beach. Same color, wheels and US spec. Anyone here bought it?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luis,

I heard it was headed back east. It was checked by a mechanic locally after the sale and I understand that this coupe has significant issues in the body and mechanically. Hope the new owner checks in here, he will need our support.

Chris