Can the door locks be re-keyed?

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score

Honolulu

Reaction score
well I dunno about the "high security" part except that they are not common keys (any more, though I know Benz used the same system and I suspect other 60s era cars as well).

The key system uses (just) three dimple sizes. Each key face is the same as the other, so it doesn't matter whether you stick the key in "right side up" or not. The dimples are aligned in three rows, at a set spacing. Once you know the first row location and dimple spacing, you're partway there.

A photo of a key is all that's needed for another key to be cut - how difficult is that? What it means is: take a close-up photo of your key (whether or not the code number is visible). That photo will be enough for a person to cut a new key, if they "cut" actually drill) dimple keys at all.

Not having grooves along the key, which determines the blank that has to be used, simplifies cutting CS keys since there is only a single "one size fits all" key blank.

yeh, yeh, easy for me to say. Only the relative scarcity of dimple key cutters protects us. A crook with a slide hammer can remove the ignition lock and your car's gone, in less time than it takes to read this post. Adequate and appropriate Insurance, folks!

Now to the original question. Yes any lock cylinder can be re-keyed. It's a matter of removing and reinstalling the wafers of each cylinder in the same sequence in all seven positions (4 doors, trunk, glovebox and ignition). Practically, if your master key (not valet key) doesn't open a particular lock, you have to take out two lock cylinders. The wafers of the non-opening lock must be rearranged, sometimes filed to match, the key cylinder that is opened by the key. Reinstall and it should work.

I'm assuming only persons of unimpeachable honesty are reading this. Stay tuned for my post on how to reset odometers, though I think that info is already out there. Hint: in a CS it's rather more difficult than, say, 2002s.