Help identifying these wheels

decampos

Reaction score
My spare is different to the main wheels. They're all FPS but they differ in style.
This is the spare. Where the fins/spokes meet the centre makes it look more like an Alpina rim:

wheel2.jpg

This is one of the main wheels:

wheel1.jpg

Does anyone know what year these are from? I'm guessing the spare would be a standard wheel for an early 70s e9/e3 and the other from a late 70s E24?

Could the second wheel be original on a last of the line e9?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes the 2nd one is the "turbine wheel" both generally from 74 on - look on the inside of the rim - there should be a casting symbol like this:

IMG-20110312-00155.jpg

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The first 6X14" turbine wheel was a fitment on the 74 and later E9 coupes and E3 sedans. Obviously, they were styled after the 7X14" Alpina CSLs.

Your main 6X14" rims were fitted on the later E12, E24, and E23 cars from 1977 to around 1979. IMO, the ribbed spokes of these rims are not as attractive as the earlier Alpina style wheels.

Not very certain, but the subtle style change of the later rims was probably due to the fact that BMW and Alpina could did not form some sort of an agreement on compensation for using the Alpina style rims, so BMW slightly altered the looks by adding the ribs and forgoing the royalties to Alpina.

decampos

Reaction score
The first 6X14" turbine wheel was a fitment on the 74 and later E9 coupes and E3 sedans. Obviously, they were styled after the 7X14" Alpina CSLs.

Your main 6X14" rims were fitted on the later E12, E24, and E23 cars from 1977 to around 1979. IMO, the ribbed spokes of these rims are not as attractive as the earlier Alpina style wheels.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting, I did think they looked more like E24 wheels. I agree with you that they're not as nice looking as the alpina style though tbh I didn't notice the difference at first.

Yes the 2nd one is the "turbine wheel" both generally from 74 on - look on the inside of the rim - there should be a casting symbol like this:

Ah yes, thanks for that pointer. There was indeed a date stamp: Late 1978 so deffo not the correct wheels for my car.

wheel_stamp.jpg