start motor overhaul

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
an interesting issue when you try to obtain the best possible performance in your cold starts

it inlcudes cleaning, new brushes, regrease

190320072696.jpg

use these hooks to unplug the brushes:
190320072695.jpg

remove the plate to clean and change the brushes
190320072694.jpg

clean the contacts of the motor axis:
190320072693.jpg

use sand paper, number2000
190320072691.jpg

wrap around the contacts and wipe it carefully:
190320072692.jpg

clean and prepare the components:
190320072690.jpg

paint:
190320072689.jpg

close and test with a spare battery, please be careful and use really thick cables if you test it out from the car !
190320072697.jpg

Honolulu

Reaction score
Did it make a difference when reinstalled?

I've had to do this with my '85 BMW K100RS motorcycle. On that system, there is a critical circuit that grounds through the starter. Odd, but functional. Most of the older bikes need to have the starter motor removed and cleaned at some point.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
absolutely,
you can feel the fresh power, plus the smoothness
it is a very recommended little project
be aware of the difficulties in undoing the bolts, and removing the motor from the engine, that is the only backdraw
do not hesitate to ask more questions
incidentaly, this task is beautifully explained in the blue books
regards

siscobmw

Reaction score
really a good overhaul project.....
well I need to know something about your overhaul as I want to do the same to my 3.3L starter motor....
second picture: what is that bosch product I see behind your finger?
the blue cap at the top or starter axis ....was it really light blue?
Thank you!
Francesco From Italy

61porsche

Reaction score
Starter Solenoid

The solenoid itself has a magnetic coil which closes or completes the circuit to the starter motor where the main battery positive wire attaches.

This contact is rather large and subject to burning resulting in less voltage. Be sure to clean and file flat for optimimun contact. A very old trick was to reclock or turn the bolt/ contact 90 degrees so as to position the contact to a new area.

siscobmw

Reaction score
I took a note for this solenoid problem....I hope to put my starter back to original health...
Thank You!
Francesco

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
What cables and wires need to be connected to the starter motor in order to test it out of the car.

I bought my car in pieces and the starter was not on the engine, my engine is out of the car so I need to check the starter works before bolting it in.

Thanks,

John.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What cables and wires need to be connected to the starter motor in order to test it out of the car.

I bought my car in pieces and the starter was not on the engine, my engine is out of the car so I need to check the starter works before bolting it in.

Thanks,

John.

Hi John -- If you haven't done this previously, be advised that starters generate massive amounts of torque. It has been years since I've done this, but I put mine into a massive vice, and used a set of jumper cables with the ground connected to the body of the starter across the mounting flange used to bolt the starter to the block. You then connect the positive jumper cable to terminal 50, which is the largest bolt on the starter, farthest away from the body of starter itself. To actually operate the starter, use a large screwdriver (held by the handle and not the shaft), and jump the current across terminal 50 and the solenoid contact. Be prepared. The starter gear slams forward with quite a bit of force, and the starter will turn rapidly. Only run it for a second; they are not designed to spin without load.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, that's just what I wanted, I have 3 starters (condition unknown) and I need to test to find out if they are good.

John.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
M Thompson: +1 replace the bushings. I didn't do this when I rebuilt my starter. Soon afterwards the armature began to grind against the housing and after 15-20 seconds would just stop cranking as though the battery were dead. (Rather than rebuild again, I bought a rehabbed one for only $120.) Now I have time for a beer...

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
While starters are powerful, you don't need a vice to test it. Just put it on the floor and have faithful wifey and/or girlfriend hold her foot on it while you connect the wires to it. Only need to let it spin for a few seconds...she will be so impressed...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
While starters are powerful, you don't need a vice to test it. Just put it on the floor and have faithful wifey and/or girlfriend hold her foot on it while you connect the wires to it. Only need to let it spin for a few seconds...she will be so impressed...

Obviously it seems like NJ ladies are a different species,do that with a native,lady here and the impressed will be you