Poll: Clear Fuel Filter or Metal w/ Carbs

What type of fuel filter with carbs?

• Total voters

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've searched the site and there is limited information with no real consensus. What fuel filter should I get?

Edit: Sorry I can't modify the Poll to include "Both" as an option.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
???
both ???

when you say carbs, are the stock zeniths ? or a setup of other type of carbs ?

i run on zeniths and i only have one filter, then an anti-return valve and then the mechanical fuel pump

i thought this was correct,...and BTW i think the metal canister filter is for the CSI version

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
???
both ???

when you say carbs, are the stock zeniths ? or a setup of other type of carbs ?

i run on zeniths and i only have one filter, then an anti-return valve and then the mechanical fuel pump

i thought this was correct,...and BTW i think the metal canister filter is for the CSI version

I am running your typical Weber down drafts. I did a search and numerous people were head scratching when some mentioned the clear filter. There are at least a few posters running the canister on a carbed early E9. If it isn't factory, I want to ensure that the fuel system has enough pressure to handle the larger filter.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I run a clear filter for my triples. Between the tank and pump. Reassuring to see what's inside.

I always thoght the metal ones were for CSi's also.

Bwana

Reaction score
I run a clear filter for my triples. Between the tank and pump. Reassuring to see what's inside.

I always thoght the metal ones were for CSi's also.

Yes, that is correct. I'm pretty sure the CSi's have a higher pressure pump , around 2 bar or so.

jmackro

Reaction score
My local autoparts store always has a bowl of metal case filters on the counter with the sign "special - $2.39". I use those just because they look more "vintage" than a clear plastic filter. Also I can write the install date in magic marker on the larger body of the metal filter (which doesn't look very original).

Yea, in theory you can inspect the plastic filters for debris. But my sense is that by the time the sediment became easily visible, you would already be experiencing problems.

So in summary, the metal filters might not be correct for my 2800cs, but I generally prefer anything made of metal over plastic.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Apparently this is a value-add thread. My lesson learned is that the group is across the board on fuel filters. Also, there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on running factory filters. I think I will go with a simple Bosch metal canister. I don't see much value in visually inspecting the fuel.

rsporsche,

Try this link to get an idea on sourcing: https://www.google.com/search?q=glass+fuel+bowl+filter

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Long live transparency.
Down with corruption, corrosion, etc.