Some nice wheels for my car.....

Orangener

Reaction score
I found them at Ebay:

5753b497c2a9d5a5e18e580d499c3d6a.jpg
99f157c7f61fdf5f679f80678f66a4ff.jpg

I will mount them on my E3, cause on a darkblue car they will be a good match....

Size is 7x15" ET 10 with 70 spokes, they have a little bit of corrosion and blistering on the chrome, but i´m looking for them for years.

Happy to get them........... :D

tochi

Reaction score
Spoked wheels

Suggest you make sure the rims are true before you mount any tires on them. I had a set (think they bore the name "Dunlop") and they were very finicky. I think they were originally acquired for a mercedes. Looked good but one or two of the wheels would appear to be out of round or untrue without warning. Although I never struck any curbs, the tire store suggested as much because of the balance/truing issues that appeared at 100kmh or so. Spokes were not supposed to loosen, but they did.

Also, there was a slight fitment problem because of less-than optimum wheel offset. Don't recall if they were 14 or 15."

Good luck. Hope they work for you.

Honolulu

Reaction score
you can't be serious

those rims belong on a purple metal flake lowrider Caddy with some kid driving, barely able to see over the door sills, cap on back/sideways, thumping bass distorting all the body panels.

But others might like 'em...

Orangener

Reaction score
de gustibus non est disputandum.....

It looks great, thats my opinion :D

52b2e993ff579c9bce1d171c9b6e18b3.jpg

Malc

Reaction score
Like them or loath them that's ok by me :wink:
They are probably made by Dunlop, as tochi has said. In fact you can get them new from Dunlop and they are made in India under licence. I got a set for my MGA a few years ago and they have stood up well.

They do require looking after. Spokes work loose and they are difficult to balance. By tapping the spokes you can get an idea if they are all at the same tension.
In addition they should have a rubber "band" to seal the spoke nuts when tubeless tyres are fitted otherwise it's leak time. That, or fit inner tubes which are getting very hard to find.
Malc

Dave B

Reaction score
Wire wheels

Each to their own, but a bit "hairdresser" for me!

Just my two cents worth and no disrepect to any hairdressers on the board!
( My haircut is probably enough disrepect to hairdressers! ) lol

Reaction score
Very nice wheels. I have put Dunlop wire wheels on my Isabella Coupé and they are originally made for a MB Pagoda, 14"x6", no problems after "scoter balancing" them on the vehicle.

e71dfd5a58395bba24cb7bfe2ae97a10.jpg

82eb11f8172d1a2cbf139cd3440ece9a.jpg

I would love to find wire wheels for my BMW 2000 CS, now I have to stick to Alpina 20 spokes wheels and they fit also to the car!

http://bmw2000cs.angelfire.com/

Best regards from Sweden / Lars K

tochi

Reaction score
wire wheels

I recall seeing a photograph of a black coupe with wire wheels posted perhaps on this forum in the photogallery. Was it possibly a one-off convertible? Mentioned this to a comrade (who was driving his 246 Dino with chromodoras) and he said he thought the car I was thinking about was once pictured on a catalog from "Hafner's tuning" in So California?

In any event, to einspritz a little petrol on wheel preferences. By happenstance, a red Ferrari Daytona Spyder parked next to the wreck I was driving. It had magnificent chromed Borrani wheels shod with 15" XWX's. I paid particular note in light of Orangener's post. Even though I "think" the Daytona came with 5-spoke cromodoras, the wires only accentuated an already terrific looking car. Call me a hairdresser along with Ringo, but I liked it.

To be fair, the spokes are a bit of a throw back to a decade or two before the E9 made its first appearance. I have 16" turbines on my coupe, but I admit occasionally thinking of changing to basketweaves or the original 14's. If I had the Dunlop wires in the garage, I "might" be tempted. Maybe I'm just fond of wires because of dad's '37, our MGTC, the neighbor's XK120, or brother-in-law's AH3000.

Strangely enough, I can't envision a 911 or a 356 with wires and suppose it would be even more sacrilegious than wires on a coupe. :?

To those of you who find the thought of wires on an e9 nauseating, I'll go you one worse: wire wheels on a 2002. :cry: I will however, readily concede, the wheels enhanced the maroon velvet interior quite nicely.:roll: The experience was like using smelling salts. :wink:

Orangener - please post em when you bolt them up.

tochi

Reaction score
Borgward?

Wow, I haven't seen one of those since the early 60's when the neighbor who had one virtually lived at the BAP GEON parts store. Would you be kind enough to provide a little background on your car, miles drivetrain, normal use? Are there many still around other than in Museums?

Thank you for posting the pics!

chicane

Reaction score
Re: Wire wheels

Dave B said:
Each to their own, but a bit "hairdresser" for me!

Just my two cents worth and no disrepect to any hairdressers on the board!
( My haircut is probably enough disrepect to hairdressers! ) lol

+2. I like something that says 'racetrack'.

Shawn

Reaction score
Good job.

I have never seen an e9 with spokes and I will have to admit, I like them.

15" is a nice size for the wheel well but tires might be a bit of a struggle to find in good rubber.

Have fun and enjoy.

Shawn

acat2002

Reaction score
those rims belong on a purple metal flake lowrider Caddy with some kid driving, barely able to see over the door sills, cap on back/sideways, thumping bass distorting all the body panels.

But others might like 'em...

bit harsh, but funny!
Rims are nice Oranger, good find indeed.
Personally, I'd like to see them on a 503 or 507 as they are reminiscent of the Boroni wheels found on the Ferraris of that era.

My guess is that the reason they may be controversial among the E9 community is the fact that German cars in general are all about engineering efficiency. Utility and speed = beauty etc, etc. Wire wheels are anything but efficient in post-tube-frame era cars (almost ostentageous for a German).

Regardless, they ARE period correct.

post pics when you can!

pj

Reaction score
Seen a blue coupe in thae Santa Cruz area wearing some boroni wires , they look good on a dark car! what do I know I have Gold wheels

tochi

Reaction score
wire wheels and coiffure?

Not every car sporting wire wheels cries out "Superfly," nor does every Vauxhall with Cromodoras scream "Goodwood."

But I am curious about the driver of the phantom Santa Cruz e9. Does the vehicle have a sunroof? In other words, exactly how "big" is the driver's hair?:lol:

And if the wheels are not Borranis but rather Dunlop "knockoffs," what is the appropriate hair? :roll:

pj

Reaction score
can't really comment on the drivers hair, I was too busy trying to flip a u-ee and chase em down. really, they looked good on the car.like I said they do not look out of place on a dark coupe,I don't think they would suit a light colored coupe so O please don't put them on the inka

Orangener

Reaction score
Its funny to see the different opinions, and also how they presented. :lol:
After i get the wires i will check the concentric running an so, thats for sure.
I mount them on the E3, a darkblue 3,0si, to my Inka they wont compare.
My polished Wolfrace are the best choice ! 8)