100 octane - Sunoco 260 GT100

octane required for US 3.0CS

According to Hans Herman the Danish Engineer whose long career started as a key member of BMW's design team for the "big six" in the mid 1960's and continues as an Engine Design Consultant on race and high performance engines including those of BMW--"if you have the stock lower compression USA 3.0L motor it will likely perform on mid-grade fuel--if it doesn't ping you are OK--should it ping go up a couple of points--if you feed it beyond the basic need little if any gain is likely". You apparently have a choice with Sunoco's multi-grade fuels--lucky you!

Here in SoCal--lucky us--we are given one of three choices most of the time--87, 89 and 91 octane ratings--104 octane race fuel is available at a very limited number of locations at about $7.00 or so per Gal the last time I checked.

I'd say that I run fine on 91, no ping lots of power. Haven't run lower, maybe as I start doing more driving of the car I should try to save a few bucks. Thanks for the incentive to try with Hans' testimonial.

I did try 5 gal of the 100, but as I say the jury is out on any improvement in performance. At $5.29/gal and not really nearby, the jury may stay out for a while.

Back