123 Distributor setup issue high rpm

Eko75

Reaction score
Hello,

When we setup the 123 electronic distributor on the CSI, the car revs at 3.000rpm... if we reduce advance at min, it doesn't go below 1500rpm but it doesn't work well.

Does anyone have the same distributor fitted? And any guess about why it behaves like this?

Thanks a lot

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Which model 123 is it? Of all the issues with 123, this is one I’ve not heard of.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you letting the engine warm up so that you can ensure the cold start system is not causing your problem?

If so, I would first recheck that you had the engine at TDC when you installed the 123. Second I would check the ground - sometimes more modern electronics are sensitive to common ground problems so a separate ground with no other connections going to it can help.

I would then try making sure you don't have vacuum advance involved. Either plug the vacuum connection, or program the distributor so that you set vacuum advance to zero and then see if your problem persists.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have been running the 123 6-R-V-IE since 2016 & sent it in for a rebuild twice. The 2nd time was for the helically milled spindle.

D-Jet CSi At cold start will be ~1500 rpm for several minutes depending on ambient temperature & atmospheric pressure. Idle should settle to ~ 900 rpm at operating temperature.

Last edited:

Eko75

Reaction score
We make progress, we switched advance curve from 7 to 6, it's an improvement.
Then with the vacuum connection plugged it's also a little bit better.

But the idle is still too high with the idle screw fully screwed. (really not sure about the vocabulary here).

I'll work on it this weekend...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Idle is controlled by 2 separate screws. Most likely the one on top of the throttle body is adjusted far from correct specifications. The large screw under the throttle body fine tunes the operating temperature idle, small adjustments clockwise or counterclockwise 1° to 5° yield vastly different results.

IMG_3716.JPG

Recommend following this Bosch D-Jet/L-Jet PDF File at the bottom of this page.

This may be of help too.

dbower

Reaction score
You didn't ask about this, but 123 distributors have horrible clips holding (some of the time) the dist cap. They are flimsy and get loose easily. allowing the cap to pop off. Corporate knows this and won't fix the issue. I wrap a zip tie around the cap holding the tops of the clips.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You didn't ask about this, but 123 distributors have horrible clips holding (some of the time) the dist cap. They are flimsy and get loose easily. allowing the cap to pop off. Corporate knows this and won't fix the issue. I wrap a zip tie around the cap holding the tops of the clips.
Yes, I bend my clips to increase the clamping pressure. Been this way for years, uncool that they have not improved these.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
After knowing about the loose distributor caps on the 4 cyl. 123's, I checked my 6 cyl. 123. It is secure after 15K miles these past 4 years.