$140,000.00 BMW CSI on Craigslist

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is just my opinion. I commend our forum when it come to all of us helping each other. That said when we criticize and make remarks, saying they over priced or not worth the cars being sold. And then we all wonder why the valued do not appreciate and the values go up like the long nose porsches.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Can someone explain why we would want prices to go up on these? Seems to me, if you love the E9, you would prefer prices to stay low so you can enjoy one at a reasonable entry point and not worry too much about taking it out on the road on a sunny day.

Who cares what price vintage Porsches are it? Why is that important to a vintage BMW owner? Sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Although it's fun to nit-pick these cars, and it is fun, I personally think the only real criticism should come when a car is being sold as something it is not, such as "original" or "rust free". I think there is an overwhelming amount of praise for e9's that are sold by honest folks who disclose everything they know about the cars and offer them at a fair price. I think we like to see values go up because it confirms that we're not stupid, although in my case that may not be so. Also, regardless of price (high or low) the e9r's pride and joy comes from owning one of the most beautiful, well engineered, unique and uncommon cars ever made and as such will always be worth what we have into them... Oh, that was 3 cents- sorry

scottd

Reaction score
Without SOME increase in value, there will be limited ability to secure quality, hard to find parts, and hence... Less likelihood of keeping a coupe on the road, as nobody wants to restore or make some obscure part at a loss.

Auto Foreign, a small entity that supports the early 911 world makes very good products, but couldn't do it if people paid what they do for coupe parts IMHO.

Prices aren't crazy (yet).

Can someone explain why we would want prices to go up on these? Seems to me, if you love the E9, you would prefer prices to stay low so you can enjoy one at a reasonable entry point and not worry too much about taking it out on the road on a sunny day.

Who cares what price vintage Porsches are it? Why is that important to a vintage BMW owner? Sounds like an inferiority complex to me.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Enthusiasts
Without SOME increase in value, there will be limited ability to secure quality, hard to find parts, and hence... Less likelihood of keeping a coupe on the road, as nobody wants to restore or make some obscure part at a loss.

While my first car was a 1969 Roundie, I spent a lot of years collecting late 1950's Mopars. I would say parts, on the whole, were a LOT more expensive than E9 parts, but still fairly readily available.

The cars were worth $30K in showroom condition at the time, but people made and sold niche parts for them because they had an NOS item and found someone to reproduce it.

Of course, collectibles go through peaks and valleys. The $100K car of today may be the $20K car of tomorrow. What will these cars be worth when they are banned from the road in favor of self driving ones? ;)