1968 2000cs

Gelatinous

Reaction score
Stopped by Lordco after work to pick up an oil filter for the 2000CS... They sold me a CH834PL1 which looked to be too big... did a cross reference when I got home and the BMW numbers don't match..... Try cross referencing the BMW number from realoem.com for my car and nothing shows up on Fram's site....

google 11421256260 cross reference and it turns up Baldwin filters. The Baldwin filter number is P106-HD which when entered into Fram's website returns the C8246 filter....

The C8246 is a power steering filter for large trucks and busses........ not sure if I should bite the bullet and try one or if I should try and find a different filter....

Did some more research since the Fram website listed some other filters that cross reference to the C8246 and found that the filter cartridge on my car is the same as a 1600 or 1800 (should have just checked realoem doh)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-51314/applications/make/bmw/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-57131

Figured that this information might be useful to someone else with a 2000CS that still has the cartridge style filter.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
2000cs

Hi;
I had a 1967 2000CS near completion( 98%) which I recently gave to my son. I have been searching parts both used and new for over 10 years and can honesdtly say the challenge has been fun for a car person that is in his 70th year. If I can help you in any way contact me.
I do have many parts that I am keeping for future use,however I do have extra front driver's side fender belt mouldings OEM still in the package that I can sell at about half price at $60 plus shipping,or $65 including shipping. Remember that the front fenders are not the same as the E9 and are hard to find,especially new OEM. I believe I have 2 or 3 of them left.
Good Luck
Koopman

Gelatinous

Reaction score
Hi;
I had a 1967 2000CS near completion( 98%) which I recently gave to my son. I have been searching parts both used and new for over 10 years and can honesdtly say the challenge has been fun for a car person that is in his 70th year. If I can help you in any way contact me.
I do have many parts that I am keeping for future use,however I do have extra front driver's side fender belt mouldings OEM still in the package that I can sell at about half price at $60 plus shipping,or $65 including shipping. Remember that the front fenders are not the same as the E9 and are hard to find,especially new OEM. I believe I have 2 or 3 of them left.
Good Luck
Koopman

I might have to take you up on that when the time comes. There is a guy here in Victoria with some parts cars, but I'm waiting for pricing on his part.

Gelatinous

Reaction score
I haven't updated this project much as the main thread is over on mye28.com in the eye candy section.

I've got the engine running, the only oil filter I could find in town was a fram hydrolic filter for large trucks and busses, however I compared it to the original and it is the same size and shape.

I also had to have the alternator rebuild... all 9 diodes were dead, the slip ring was toast and so were the bearings and brushes.

I've replaced the clutch soft line and flex lines and have moved the car under it's own power (albeit a few feet). I still have to tear into the brakes. I don't want to buy new rotors since BMW Victoria wants $270 each so I'm checking to see if mine are still above minimum thickness.

I had the wheels off and fount that the E30 (I think) wheels are the wrong offset and had home made spacers to keep them from hitting the struts.

I also took some pictures of the rust on the drivers side (worse side) of the car.

Driver's side fender well, left side is towards the headlights.

Driver's side floor and frame rail. I knew someone had been in here repairing long before I got the car, but I didn't expect to see the frame rail fishplated with 1/4" steel plate lol.

quick picture of the rebuilt alternator, rebuilt at Brian Roberts Auto Electric here in Victoria for $200CAD.

I know this car has a lot of rust, but I'm treating it as a learning experience and I'm not aiming for perfection in the rebuild. The floors will likely be flat sheet metal and I will be fabricating exterior panels my self (a friend will be teaching me) so I'll most likely only be buying the structural pieces from W&N (intermediate rockers, A Pillar supports, B pillar sub sections etc)

rdholland

Reaction score
Rust is a four letter word, isn't it?

Hey, I sent you an email. We should compare notes as we are both starting restorations on the same car and I too, am facing rust issues. I have done a ton of research, but you really don't know the extent of any rust until you begin to cut into it.

I have a thread on here as well, started about two years ago but I am only just now beginning to restore mine after unexpectedly receiving a complete donor car.

Regards,
Rob