1969 2800 CS

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I’ll gladly provide my opinion, which I hope has more value than a thumbs up or down. I honestly don’t see how anyone could say it looks bad. It may not be factory, and many people will not like that fact, but it doesn’t look tacky either.

It is difficult to make supplementary trim look good, and original, and it is abuse of supplemental trim that causes bias. CSL arches are a great example. It isn’t that people think it looks bad on the CSL, they just mentally associate the trim to abuse of chrome arches applied to Mercedes over the years. They never had factory chrome wheel arches. Yes, CSL arches are stainless steel.

Another example are Altezza style tail lights that were all the rage in the late 90’s. They looked good on the Toyota Altezza / Lexus IS. It was the aftermarket abuse that ruined them. So with that said, just recognize that stick on trim is polarizing and very tricky to pull off effectively.

Here is my detailed take. The deal with trim is to have it look straight, whether it is or not, it should appear straight. You have to do this with old home renovation. Fool the eye when having something perfectly square or plumb produces an undesirable aesthetic. In your case, I can’t help but stare at the little wave above the CA in your plate. Since it is adhesive you should be able to take a straight edge against it and tap it straight. If it is straight, see my comment about old homes.

I like it on the front of the spoiler, but IMO the subtle look of the trim diminishes as you start to wrap around the bumper ends. This is due to the contour change in the spoiler, which makes the trim point “up” instead of “out”. You could try stopping it at the radius, but I think it just may make things worse.

My two cents...

Rek

Reaction score
Your two cents are worth more than 2 cents!

Its not staying on as it is not well finished at the ends. It is straight so I think that the camera must be lying. If I can get the quality look and feel right I might consider it, but the hair dryer will be applied to get the thing off without harming the paint.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your two cents are worth more than 2 cents!

Its not staying on as it is not well finished at the ends. It is straight so I think that the camera must be lying. If I can get the quality look and feel right I might consider it, but the hair dryer will be applied to get the thing off without harming the paint.

Dental floss helps with removal...