1969 2800 Rear Spring Options?

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all, my 1969 has quite a saggy rear and I'd like to refresh the rear springs at the stock ride height. I see the OEMs are NLA, and am struggling to find what to buy. I'm doing some searching through posts here, I've E12 and E3 rear springs are interchangeable, but is that a true statement for all E12s and all E3s? Sometimes the super early E3s are a little different in some areas.

Anyway, what are your recommendations for stock rear springs? This car sat in a garage for 20ish years so I imagine I'd want to replace the perch pads and the shock absorbers (Bilsteins) as well, correct?

Thanks,

Ric

Last edited:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
2800's often had Boge "NIv-o-mat" "self-leveling" rear suspension. The springs were substantially softer and droopy AF if used with regular shocks, which I guess could happen sometimes if the shocks had been replaced by a PO without changing springs. Call Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent or the guys at Mesa Performance for currently-available new spring options. I'd suggest B6 Bilstein, but have a care, the front strut housings vary from year to year. That's why the two specific source references. They know Bavs. Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

Last edited:

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
2800's often had Boge "NIv-o-mat" "self-leveling" rear suspension. The springs were substantially softer and droopy AF if used with regular shocks, which I guess could happen sometimes if the shocks had been replaced by a PO without changing springs. Call Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent or the guys at Mesa Performance for currently-available new spring options. I'd suggest B6 Bilstein, but have a care, the front strut housings vary from year to year. That's why the two specific source references. They know Bavs. Let us know what you decide and how it goes!
Thanks, I'll check those options out - appreciate it!

Reactions: dp

gwittman

Reaction score
Before you change the springs, you may want to install the rear Bilsteins first. When I replaced my 40-year-old Bilsteins, the car went from a slight sag in the rear to a slight lift in the rear.

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Before you change the springs, you may want to install the rear Bilsteins first. When I replaced my 40-year-old Bilsteins, the car went from a slight sag in the rear to a slight lift in the rear.
That could be the case with mine as well, as the Bilsteins in the back I'm sure are from a zillion years ago. Interesting the shock inserts themselves made that much of a difference

Last edited: