1970 BMW 2800CS - $12500 - Minimal Rust - Project - Pomona

Reaction score
1970 BMW 2800 CS

VIN 2204570 Originally delivered to Switzerland. This is a Euro car. I bought this car as a shell in 2001. Someone had started a body restoration and judging from the undercoating, they did a fantastic job. The car is very dry, even for a California car. I then bought a rusty California 3.0CS. After taking all of the decent parts, I began to ‘restore’ this car.

I am selling this car because I lost my storage lease and I have nowhere to move it. If you purchase the car, it must be moved by July 31st.

DRIVE TRAIN

I found a good motor from a 1985 535i and swapped it in. A proper flywheel is installed. It has the reference sender for the Motronic Basic fuel injection. I believe I re-surfaced the flywheel before installing it. A stock clutch and pressure plate was installed. I have a new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder ready to install in the car.

The transmission is the much coveted 265 and it is equipped with a speedo sensor. The bellhousing is for the Motronic system. I do not have the reference sender cables for the Motronic system. I was actually intending to go with the Motronic 1.3 system which does not use the bellhousing sensors.

I do not have a speedometer cable to include with the car. I believe that the proper cable is one from a later automatic. The driveshaft was shortened by a shop to fit the car. I did not have the driveshaft balanced before installation.

The differential is a 3.45 open and the car really demands a 3.25 open or limited slip. The previous owner apparently cleaned it up before installing it.

SUSPENSION

Struts, tie rods and front axle all appear to be intact and undamaged. Note the undercoating in the fender wells. The previous owner did a lot work to protect the body from rust. The front strut inserts are Bilsteins, I believe. The rear struts are a pair of used Koni’s and I am not sure if they are good.

I removed the rear drum brakes and replaced them with a set of 3.0cs trailing arms with rear disc brakes. Urethane bushings were installed.

BRAKES

I recently had the front calipers rebuilt by a reputable shop in the area. The front brake rotors were brand new when installed. They have since rusted as they are prone to do, even when exposed to ambient moisture.

The rear calipers are installed “as-found”, along with the vented rotors. I installed a used 2002tii brake booster to fix clearance issues with the stock booster. I also had the brake master cylinder rebuilt by the reputable shop that did the front calipers. As can be seen in the photos, I attached a vacuum line from the intake manifold to the brake booster.

ENGINE

I did verify that the engine turned and had decent compression. I swapped out the oil pan and oil pickup from a 2.8 liter engine to avoid clearancing issues. The car has no alternator or power steering pump. The steering gear box is equipped for power steering. No hydraulic steering hoses are with the car, but I have at least one I can provide.

The radiator is from an early E24 and is properly installed with hoses. I found a proper new heater hose(s) and they are installed. A heater blower motor is missing, but I can provide one at the completion of the sale. The overflow tank is the much coveted brass tank and it has been painted black.

I put a return fuel line from the tank area and then under the driver’s side frame rail exiting in the engine compartment. There is only one hole in the gas tank for a fuel pump. There are several strategies one of which is to use the fuel pump level sensor from an e30 m42 equipped 318i. I have one which I can supply for an additional fee.

ELECTRICAL

When I got the shell, the engine wiring harness along with the front headlight harness were ‘chopped’ about 18" into the engine compartment. I had found a wiring harness from a 3.0cs and decided to thread the “new” engine wiring harness directly into fuse box, rather than grafting the wires onto the existing trunk of chopped wires. I ran into problems and this aspect remains unfinished. As far as I know, the remainder of the wiring is OK. I have the rear portion of the 3.0CS wiring harness and is included with the car.

EXHAUST

There is a quality exhaust header installed on the car. I took the time and expense to wrap the header. I had intended to simply take the car to an exhaust shop to construct a custom exhaust from the end of the header to tail pipe. A stock BMW exhaust system is frightfully expensive. If you choose to go that route I have a good used rear muffler and silencer which are shown in the photos. A stock tail pipe seems to be NLA, but I know of someone who is re-creating them on a custom basis.

WHEELS

The wheels are 15" WEDS. The center caps are missing. I might be able to find one or more, and if I can, I will provide it/them upon completion of the sale.

EXTERIOR

I have a complete set of exterior trim. It was removed and placed indoors. You will still have to have it re-finished and I do not have the ‘T’ bolts for installing them. All the other bright work that I have is shown in the photos. I have had an expert look at everything and he says that everything that is needed to put the car back together is present. Not shown is a center grille, which I have somewhere but I have yet to find. I am not sure if it is ‘perfect’ or not. It may have missing studs. It may need work. Center grilles for the early E9 are very expensive in any condition.

The car came without a hood and I put one on from my parts car. It is decent but there might be some minor rust present. I replaced the doors from the same car and it is equipped with manual regulators.

The one half of the rear window trim is off the car, but will be provided upon completion of the sale.

I also have a set of rocker panel covers which are in blue.

INTERIOR

The interior is mostly present. My parts car came with a beautiful tan interior. Unfortunately, the car sat in a semi-desert environment for several years and the sun has taken its toll. I loaned the perfect door panels to a friend to create parts for door panel backing. These have been stored indoors for several years. I should have them back in time for the completion of the sale.

The wood on the dash needs attention. The veneer is almost completely gone. The good news is that the underlying wood is in fair shape. The dash is cracked and new ones can be had from Just Dashes. Door wood will have to be re-done and your pieces are present.

I have a set of carpet from the parts car and I am not sure if it is complete. The old carpet is mostly complete.

I have had an expert look at the parts that come with the car and he says that most everything that is needed to finish the car is present. You may need to supply fasteners.

I do not have the tool tray for the trunk or any of the padding that goes on the trunk lid. Tool trays can be purchased new from BMW along with the padding for the trunk lid. I do not have a 2800CS badge.

RUST

There are the beginnings of rust in several places on the car. It is very minor. Several shots of the trunk reveal nothing major, just possibly the start of rust here and there. Note the beginnings of rust at the rear window and on the parcel shelf. I don’t know if this is “serious” rust or not. The full extent of any rust in the back window area can only be assessed by removing the window. Your body man will probably be delighted to cure it for you.

INSPECTION

You are invited to view the car personally. Bring an ice pick. This car is as good as it gets. The car is available for inspection at 395 E. Commercial Street, Pomona, California during normal business hours.

Don’t take my word for it! I have had the car inspected by a reputable shop. You can get his opinion when you inspect the car and without paying for a pre-purchase inspection. There are other E9's for sale as well. You are welcome to bring your own mechanic.

The car is located conveniently near Ontario International Airport and LAX. Fly in to either of these airports and take an Uber or Lyft to the address. If you decide to fly in, I can meet you at the car or arrange that someone will open the gate for you. You will need to let me know that you are coming. Be advised that the car is offered for sale locally.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Buyer beware! The car is being sold ‘as-is’, where is. Right now, I cannot find my title. I have one and the car belongs to me. Unless I find the title, the car will be sold with a bill of sale and an application for duplicate title. I will provide a notarized signature if necessary.

The keys are currently missing. The ignition key was in the car while it was in storage, but someone removed it and it is now missing. I am attempting to find it or create a duplicate. I have someone who can make a key from the key code. I will be removing the trunk lock in the hopes that it matches the ignition. If I am unable to find one, I will have to remove the ignition tumbler in order to turn the steering wheel so it can be loaded onto to a tow truck.

There are past due vehicle registration fees which amount to approximately $403.00. The sale is subject to those fees.

Any questions? Please write. I have many more photos that I can send you.

Attachments

• coupe.five.JPG
    coupe.five.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 280