1970 E3 2800 BaT

Watching this beauty, only watching as I can own one at a time and currently my '72 Agave Bavaria from Steve Petersen of BluntTech is filling that slot.

1724369820221.png

What is it about these German bricks?
Just when I sell a car cause I need to reduce inventory and “simplify”, this pops up. I’m tempted for sure, but the savage title really scares me. Probably ok, but seems like it would difficult to explain later. Just me. I hope it does well.
george

I think a salvage title is generally irrelevant on a car this old. My 911 had a salvage title when the PO bought it in 2000 because it was a cheap used Porsche in the 90s and didn't take a lot for something too-expensive to happen to it. The car is straight everywhere with no evidence of a collision and corner weights perfectly, so I spent zero seconds worrying about it. Hell, my current normal car, a 2013 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, may end up getting totalled because the cats got stolen *again* and the ECM got bricked this time, with a potential five-figure cost to repair to as it was before. And that's a car that will run and drive normally save for the ECM.

I think a salvage title is generally irrelevant on a car this old. My 911 had a salvage title when the PO bought it in 2000 because it was a cheap used Porsche in the 90s and didn't take a lot for something too-expensive to happen to it. The car is straight everywhere with no evidence of a collision and corner weights perfectly, so I spent zero seconds worrying about it. Hell, my current normal car, a 2013 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, may end up getting totalled because the cats got stolen *again* and the ECM got bricked this time, with a potential five-figure cost to repair to as it was before. And that's a car that will run and drive normally save for the ECM.

I beg to differ with you. In my book, a salvage title is a problem with any age car that you intend to buy, especially on a collector car. When you go to sell, it will for sure hurt the value and limit the pool of potential buyers.

Salvage title is not good, but on this old a car, there may be an acceptable explanation. Did it flood? Likely the damage to the car exceeded insurance company value, so
it is deemed a total loss. In that case you have an option to accept the payment but buy the vehicle back for pennies on the dollar. It is the same car but lets say with a mashed door or front bumper. But you now have a salvage title. A buyer just has to judge the condition for themselves, as you do with any car this age.

I beg to differ with you. In my book, a salvage title is a problem with any age car that you intend to buy, especially on a collector car. When you go to sell, it will for sure hurt the value and limit the pool of potential buyers.
The manner in which it 'hurts the value' is only relevant if it acquired that salvage title between your buying it and selling it. If you take a hit selling it, it's the same hit you gave when you bought it. If you are talking about a car with a significant pool of people who put a particular financial value highly original and low-mileage examples (e.g. air-cooled 911s) then yes, it will be worth less than one of those. So will most other examples. I don't think (based on my experience looking at 911s) the difference between the latter two is significant, especially when the reason for the title is most anything other than major body damage or flooding. When a car is at the bottom of its value curve, it's not hard to total it for insurance purposes because of cost of repair.

The manner in which it 'hurts the value' is only relevant if it acquired that salvage title between your buying it and selling it. If you take a hit selling it, it's the same hit you gave when you bought it. If you are talking about a car with a significant pool of people who put a particular financial value highly original and low-mileage examples (e.g. air-cooled 911s) then yes, it will be worth less than one of those. So will most other examples. I don't think (based on my experience looking at 911s) the difference between the latter two is significant, especially when the reason for the title is most anything other than major body damage or flooding. When a car is at the bottom of its value curve, it's not hard to total it for insurance purposes because of cost of repair.

Unless you completely do everything yourself, the cost of owning (parts and maintenance) have increased substantially through the years. Add to that any restoration you'd like to do. Body, paint, chrome, upholstery are all big big money now. Do you want to invest all of those costs in a car that has a big question mark for most buyers when you go to sell it or start with a car with a clean title? Personally, I will never by a car with a title issue.

I just bought a '79 Mercedes 280GE, converted to a 3.0L diesel years ago, and it has a salvage title. It's worth less because of it and I look at it differently as far as how I restore it. I've decided originality doesn't matter (engine swapped already anyway) and I'll change the color when I normally wouldn't.

I also paid all the back fees when I bought my E3 so it would stay clean title, otherwise it would've been acquisitioned and the title salvaged only because of paperwork. Now it's not part of the conversation when sold.

Depends on the value. I had a 2002 with a stated value of $21,000. It flooded in a hurricane up to the steering wheel. No electronics, just dried it out. engine transmission and diff were shot, but they were worn. Bought it back for $1200. It gives you $20,000 to play with. Ended up with a brand new car, including motor differential and transmission.
Salvage title may be the only issue with this 2800, I love it.

Great points guys. Yes, I also believe comparing 911’s and E3s is pretty difficult.
While I may be comfortable buying a salvage car, my concern is the next person. Pool of interested potential folks seems to get pretty shallow. To be clear, I think this car is lovely and I hope for the seller it meets reserve.
George

Back