1970 Nurburgring Fails

Holy moly
I see door catches and seat belts don’t seem to have been very effective back then. Some of the drivers were actually outside of the cars before they stopped moving.

Shocking!

On the other side ... based on that movie we can tell...

VWs, FIATs, NSUs, Simcas and Ford Capri are not good for hard cornering

None of BMW nor Porsche roll over on the movie.

It shows difference of the suspension quality/design between low cost and premium cars from that time.

Very strange to see people sliding out their cars. I have witness driver being thrown out through the small window. Really breathtaking. For the person it was saving his life as he fell off just before car hit the street headlamp and "explode" into small pieces.

The Adenauer Forst turn. I have watched that and other videos over the years. I have driven the track very few times and I was the sissy of the day each time at that turn because all my viewing of the videos. In those clips: Seat belts don't save lives, bellbottoms do!

Holy moly
I see door catches and seat belts don’t seem to have been very effective back then. Some of the drivers were actually outside of the cars before they stopped moving.

And the award for the luckiest people still alive after their track day goes to the white Karmann and the green sports coupe ( I am not sure what it is :) )

Attachments

• F229B3F4-8962-4713-A9BB-E0810110A2C4.png
    F229B3F4-8962-4713-A9BB-E0810110A2C4.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6,793
  • C8B72D72-5894-4BFC-9EAE-9E0A80720FB1.png
    C8B72D72-5894-4BFC-9EAE-9E0A80720FB1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,961
  • AEEABF32-46F5-4A42-83D5-6E66BDF92ED6.png
    AEEABF32-46F5-4A42-83D5-6E66BDF92ED6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • 2C1E0AC9-873B-4536-849C-46E8A0E5C446.png
    2C1E0AC9-873B-4536-849C-46E8A0E5C446.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,422
  • 4E21C705-FE40-4D79-844A-6668AC44ED24.png
    4E21C705-FE40-4D79-844A-6668AC44ED24.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 3,714
And the award for the luckiest people still alive after their track day goes to the white Karmann and the green sports coupe ( I am not sure what it is :) )
No kidding. That convertible full of people coming off the ground made me say, "Oh my God" out loud while watching. LOL

Always fun to revisit this bit of 'Ring history. As strict as the Germans were (are), here you could drop a few DMs and hoon about on one of the most challenging racetracks ever built. Every one of the fails here is from entering the first corner way too fast, and though many of the cars look the sporty type, some festooned with driving lights and such, their pilots were clearly over their heads.

Also shocking how much crap spills out of many of them, and onlookers casually leaning against the Armco on the TRACKSIDE. Cleanup must've been a volunteer thing.

@Krzysztof Nope.
@Barry.b I think that's an Alfetta GT, and he was definitely lucky.

Last edited:
Always fun to revisit this bit of 'Ring history. As strict as the Germans were (are), here you could drop a few DMs and hoon about on one of the most challenging racetracks ever built. Every one of the fails here is from entering the first corner way too fast, and though many of the cars look the sporty type, some festooned with driving lights and such, their pilots were clearly over their heads.

Also shocking how much crap spills out of many of them, and onlookers casually leaning against the Armco on the TRACKSIDE. Cleanup must've been a volunteer thing.

@Krzysztof Nope.
@Barry.b I think that's an Alfetta GT, and he was definitely lucky.

Good catch ... it is extremely hard to see double headlights and two-row tailights...

I was not 100% but it looks it was Alfa Romeo!

This video reminds me of a conversation I had with a mechanics at the shop I used from time to time in Virginia about the decline in interest in cars among teenagers. He commented "they just don't appreciate having your life flash in front of your eyes behind the wheel of a car."

I think the reason we see so many people exiting their cars quickly is the fear of fire. Recall there was a time when Formula 1 drivers did not want to wear seat belts because of this.

In 14 years of track driving around the eastern US/Canada with my Porsche 928's, I had 3 incidents where I over-corrected on a corner and spun on/off the track. Did a couple pirouettes in the grass twice, and on the track once. At Watkins Glen, a 911 I was 'chasing down' dropped two wheels off at the penultimate corner before the front straight, tried to correct and essentially did a 720 spin right in front of me before badly damaging the car at a tire wall at the final corner. He made the mistake of trying to 'come back' onto the track when two wheels went off track on the outside exit of that corner. The Porsche 914 at 6' 20" in this video does it perfectly in a similar situation. Steering wheel straight, modest braking and THEN come back on.

I never drove 'the Ring', but had 2 laps as passenger in a race car during practice for the following day's race. Incredible track, and easy to see why Jackie Stewart (I think) named it 'The Green Hell'. If I recall correctly, there are something over 170 corners on the Nordschleife . I have no idea how anyone can 'learn' that track!!

Gary

Last edited:
At 6:50, a VW rolls over, a beer can comes flying out the open driver's side window, and explodes on impact with the track.

(maybe one of the reasons for so many crashes? ;) )

It is shocking to see most involved in the crashes were not wearing seat belts, but that really was the norm. Most of us probably didnt wear seat belts until the late 80's when states started making it illegal not to do so.

Back