1971 2800 Resto-mod auto on Hemmings

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's been done a lot of times but I'll bet it's getting expensive. I'd guess it's approaching $10k to have it professionally done.
Interesting - having to source the extra bits, like the dash gear display, and wiring it up, etc. probably is no easy feat these days. Funny since it seems like automatics that have been removed seem to be given away around here.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting - having to source the extra bits, like the dash gear display, and wiring it up, etc. probably is no easy feat these days. Funny since it seems like automatics that have been removed seem to be given away around here.
We're talking about turning an automatic into a 5-speed right? I don't mean turning a manual tr into an automatic. Yes - looks like automatics are given away. I didn't understand - what does that suggest?

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
We're talking about turning an automatic into a 5-speed right? I don't mean turning a manual tr into an automatic. Yes - looks like automatics are given away. I didn't understand - what does that suggest?
The description mentions that the seller always wanted a slightly hot rodded auto transmission car. To accomplish this he had a 3.5 liter engine from a 535 installed mated to an auto transmission from a 633 CSi. So maybe the car was originally an automatic and he just put in a newer transmission? The way I read it was conversion to an auto, but I don't think the description is clear either way.

Your not understanding suggests that your brain just could not process the idea of somebody turning a manual transmission car into an automatic ;) .

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The description mentions that the seller always wanted a slightly hot rodded auto transmission car. To accomplish this he had a 3.5 liter engine from a 535 installed mated to an auto transmission from a 633 CSi. So maybe the car was originally an automatic and he just put in a newer transmission? The way I read it was conversion to an auto, but I don't think the description is clear either way.

Your not understanding suggests that your brain just could not process the idea of somebody turning a manual transmission car into an automatic ;) .
I read words but they don't make sense. Crazy Talk! Thanks :) I thought it was the other way around.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
love looking at the pictures, seeing 3.0cs / csi / csl stickers under the hood, and in wrong locations. then there are the front seats that have been recovered (incorrectly) ... they look decent, just wrong. right there with most of you on the wording - a bit comical

not a bad looking coupe, agree with several comments on the price of a 2800cs with an auto.