1971 2800CS Birthday

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am celebrating 1 year of ownership and reflecting on all I have done. Most these projects were completed with the advice of the e9coupe forum. THANK YOU to all that have helped me on this amazing journey – Special thanks to Terry, Mike, Chris, Andrew, Don and everyone that has answered all my stupid questions and has shown so much kindness and patience.
2022 in review

• Purchase Jan 3rd Without keeping my wife in the loop. In retrospect not a good decision. Luckily, the (grown) kids are into cars and helped insulate. See picture of my daughter in the car on the trailer. Her repeated “I LOVE this car” melted the ice my wife was giving off. And my Son’s best friend, who my wife loves, found the car for me. I may not be alive today without kids working on mom.
  • U-Hauled it home 450 miles
  • Cleaned Detailed
  • Contacted the original owner of the car Ron Wakefiled. This was the start of a friendship including visits to his house. Ron has been a wealth of knowledge about my car and the history of E9’s. A special bond/friendship between us has come about over this special car
  • Acquired all the R&T articles and books written by original owner, Ron Wakefield including the September 1972 Road and track review of my actual car. He wrote a review of his ownership of my 2800CS.
  • Acquired other articles from R&T and Playboy magazine about the 1971 2800CS
  • Removed fog lights that looked out of place
  • Most everything worked on car, random reoccurring issue of car cutting out happened on test drive and continues, mostly after driving a bit on second start. Got lots of advice from e9coupe forum.
  • Car cuts out on freeway coming back from Cars and Coffee and I get safely off freeway, despite gawker car to my right not letting me get to the shoulder because they are admiring and waiving, blocking my exit to the shoulder. While I am waiting for the tow truck a mechanic in a Kai work suits pulls over, I think to help. The 20 something old mechanic quickly tells me he cannot help me, he only knows how to diagnose things with a computer, but he was stopping to admire my beautiful car.
  • Get towed by a BRAND NEW tow truck, its maiden tow. Driver even helps me push car into my home garage, after showing me proper leg stretching. Overall a fun experience taking into consideration it could have gone very differently. I had run an errand after cars and coffee to the not so nice side of town.
  • E9 expert, Terry, agrees to come to my house and quickly determines the issue is the air conditioning(?) is loose and has been arching with the alternator (?). Quick easy fix-Picture attached of what was done. Sorry not very mechanical so I am sure someone will correct me.
  • Replaced passenger window crank
  • Replaced passenger seat release knob
  • Refurbished and painted broken and nicked hood and side wing grills
  • Tune up, oil change, new plugs, and overall engine maintenance
  • Restored clamshell, fiber glassed, and painted
  • Acquired missing tools for tool tray
  • Reupholster with custom leather front and back seats to original look
  • Designed, with the help of seat belt planet, and replace seatbelts, original design
  • Painted filter housing
  • Cleaned engine bay, including painting rusty parts
  • Restored genuine Alpina staggered rims 16x7,16x8
  • New tires 205/55 225/50
  • Restored C pillar BMW logos
  • Owners of the car reunion at La Jolla Independent. Carl, Ron Wakefiled (original owner) Richard (owner 48 years) and myself-Picture attached- This is not my E9 the person I purchased it from had two and this is the one he kept
  • Fixed the left drivers storage box latch (worst ever project)
  • New Alpina gear shift knob
  • Acquired Grill badge
  • Lowered with Carl Nelson Springs
  • New front Bilstein shocks
  • Legends of the autobahn coming out party. Came in 3rd in coupe class
  • Met many new E9 friends at legends
  • Purchased trunk storage tray and missing trunk cover
  • Restored vapor trunk bottle and eliminated the full smell in the cabin
  • Painted and cleaned tire storage area and repainted jack
  • Attempted a reunion with my car and the original owners at O’Fest Palm Springs. Was not able to pull it off due to an injury Ron had. Was able to meet with the long term owner I purchased car from, but dream of getting us all together with our beloved E9 will have to wait
  • Attended may cars and Coffee and made many new friends
And many more things I have forgotten.. and much more to come!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.JPG
    FullSizeRender.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2983.jpg
    IMG_2983.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3636.jpg
    IMG_3636.jpg