1971 BMW 2800CS 5-Speed

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score

Member from Tennessee (hasn’t been active on the forum for awhile)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe a perfumed pig.

Floor pan repairs look shoddy. Looks like a HECK of a lot of undercoating w/rust peeking through.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@teahead - LOL...."Perfumed Pig." That made me laugh, thanks, I needed that... I had a bad morning yesterday, so a laugh helped today, let me tell you. If it wasn't such a long story I would tell it. That's pretty good, I never heard of that one. Skip the lipstick and just put on the perfume!

And they need it; ever lived next to a pig farm? Not very pleasant...but you don't want to tell the owner that. Never mess with an owner of a pig farm or you might end up dinner for the pigs, not the other way around.

Anyways, back to the car talk...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I saw this car briefly at Sharkfest in April - the owner attended only a small portion of the overall event. Initial impression was "a nice 10 footer" and indeed if you look at the picture gallery for this auction you can see numerous little cosmetic flaws. I also remember the owner saying that the car spent a portion of its life in the rust belt - perspective buyers would be well advised to have the condition of the body of this car carefully evaluated.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The backside of the the rockers have been caulked as noted in the expense report, that doesn’t give me any comfort to the actual condition of the rockers.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love 2800's and they can be great bargains sometimes. But being that condition of body is questionable and I'm not crazy about the color, my guess this is another RNM.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw this car briefly at Sharkfest in April - the owner attended only a small portion of the overall event. Initial impression was "a nice 10 footer" and indeed if you look at the picture gallery for this auction you can see numerous little cosmetic flaws. I also remember the owner saying that the car spent a portion of its life in the rust belt - perspective buyers would be well advised to have the condition of the body of this car carefully evaluated.
I sent you a PM with my contact info.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this the original steering wheel for 2800CS Coupes?
Are the leather seats original? Was this type of leather called "pigskin? The texture and polished look seem to be different than what we see in most Coupes today.

Henny

Reaction score
Is this the original steering wheel for 2800CS Coupes?
Are the leather seats original? Was this type of leather called "pigskin? The texture and polished look seem to be different than what we see in most Coupes today.
Yes, this steering wheel is an original option and the same to the leather seats.

Attachments

• 20211028_160615.jpg
    20211028_160615.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 63

rbtrader

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am the owner of the 1971 2800 5-speed. I encourage you to check out the auction listing on Bring a Trailer, the auction finishes about 5:00PM Eastern on Tuesday.
I bought the car about five years ago after search for and visiting a lot of E9's over many years. I have always been very committed to BMW, ever since I bought my daily driver 2002Tii in 1973. When I found this car, I was stunned that it was a one owner, pretty much all original (with the exception of a BMW factory authorized repaint about a year or two after purchase) and it did not have traditional rust issues. It was a unicorn among E9's.
The undercoating pictured on the underside of the car is part of the Ziebart process which was applied when the car was new. There was some passenger side rocker repair about 5-6 years ago by a foreign cars shop in MN (likely POR 15), but other than that is is very solid. The car was purchased in Michigan, but has spent much of it's 51 years at a Florida home, stored at a repair shop on Minnesota, and in my garage in Tennessee.
Please visit the BAT auction site if you are interested in more original rather than redone BMW's. I have really enjoyed the original pigskin leather, carpets, door panels, dash, steering wheel, wheels, tool kit, etc. I have upgraded the car with a five-speed manual, Webers, and Pertronix ignition. It is still, however, a 1971 driving experience, with Coupe King springs, new bilsteins, and new control arms and tie rods. I love to try to make my old cars look and drive like that did when they were a couple years old, and as the say goes, "it can only be original once"! If this is also your preference in BMW's, check it out!

Rich

BMWbodger

Reaction score
rbtrader, why are you selling the car? Sorry, I might have missed that in the discussion...

rbtrader

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the car, and I always wanted one, I have had a lot of fun with it, but it is just time to move on to a new project. After I got it all together the way I wanted it, I went to many events. I have been to a couple Vintages, I have been to two Southeast Sharkvests, I have done 3-4 scenic rallies in Highlands NC and Chattanooga, and several little car shows. I still have room to store it, but if I find something else that is interesting, I will be out of room. In the past I have had similar experiences with a Porsche 356C cab and a couple of other cars.

The car is still for sale, my original reserve was $52k. I have some flexibility, and you are welcome to call me for more information or come to Chattanooga and see the car. My cell is 423-802-4962.