1972 Bavaria - Hemmings

I think the seller is the ant that is hoping to move the rubber tree plant "cause he's got high hopes" Lol

Honest photos, sat too long, $15,000. way optimistic. Mold covering the headliner suggests it is elsewhere. A few rusty tools, odd "buttons" on the elephant skin shock tower covers, they appear in good shape, can't say the same for the rest of the trunk.

It needs a whole lot more than "cosmetics."

I love Bavarias, driving my fifth now(two were parts cars). It had an extensive restoration about a dozen years ago including glass out, etc. paint in original Agave,.
Steve Petersen, Bluntech owner, installed a 1992 7 series B 35 motor and automatic transmission. Fast, reliable, beautiful, original except motor/tranny. I paid $19,000 a year ago.

Steve

They used the longitudinal members as front jacking points. On the passenger side, the usual place has had it. On the driver's side I would not trust the member, nonetheless. Amateur patching and still rotting on. The floor near the clutch bell does not look trustworthy either. One should not overinterpret pictures but to me the headliner looks as if the car has been damp on the inside for a long time. The seats seem about to burst, might even be dangerous. And what on earth has happened to the wiring in, now on the steering column?

The car is in Cleveland. Even a relatively low mileage E3 (96k), would be expected to have lots of rust. No exception here.

The wiring should be a crime...
Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 4.58.42 PM.png

It does show that, at least in North America, at one time they just became a worthless old car that the owner kept running at the lowest possible cost. It appears that they are making a come back, but ones like this one are just too far gone to bring back....even if given away.

Zip ties on an electrical tape "harness"? Really? Embarrassing. Asking price is comical. But nothing to lose, I guess. At least fit for great forum discussion, but, probably that is about all this is worth.

This dealership, MB Vintage Cars, is a little over an hour away from me. I've never been there in person but will occasionally do a local search for Bavarias and they always pop up. They seem to have a steady e3 stock on their website and the majority are usually in pretty suspect condition. There's also a '72 and a '74 there now- the '72 has seen better days but I haven't looked at the photos for the '74.

Last edited:
Just visited the MB Vintage Cars website. The three Bavarias are rough to say the least. The 2002 is rough!! No prices. Some of the cars in this huge collection look like Beverly Hills Car Club candidates. The couple of write ups I read are masterpieces of understatement.

I also visited their website, curious to see the other E3s and to see what else they had.

They have a Lancia Thema 8.32 that hasn't been started in years. What could possibly go wrong?? And yet it calls like a siren. Fortunately not enough of a siren - I'm not *that* much of a masochist.

I also visited their website, curious to see the other E3s and to see what else they had.

They have a Lancia Thema 8.32 that hasn't been started in years. What could possibly go wrong?? And yet it calls like a siren. Fortunately not enough of a siren - I'm not *that* much of a masochist.
Just to be on the safe side, I suggest a liberal application of wax in the ears and lashing yourself to a good, sturdy tree...

I was interested until I noticed that the speaker grille is missing on the driver's door. Almost had me.

Any speculation as to what the screw eye bolts in the trunk were used for?

I went back to look at the screw eye bolts. And noticed how slowly the photos load. That's so you forget the horrible previous photo before you lay eyes on an even more horrible one.

About the never seen before screw eye bolts, no idea. But we could have some fun making up reasons. Naaah, waste of time.

Back