1972 Ceylon CSI - Opinions

Brent

Reaction score
WOW! This car appears highly detailed and put together right. What's the condition of the seats under those ugly seat covers?

The colour works for me!

pmansson

Reaction score
They are not seat covers. Original velours which was much more common in Europe that leather (which is too cold in winter, slippery, and wets your shirt in summer...).

Brent

Reaction score
Re: "They are not seat covers"

Methinks you are wrong. Check the second photo of the seats and these look decidedly like seat covers and not factory velour seats. Factory velour seats did not have piping (black in this case) to my knowledge. Those look like black vinyl or black leather seats underneath.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree with pmansson. They are not seat covers, they are the factory velour seats. The piping you are seeing looks like a shadow.

pmansson

Reaction score
If you look at the creases in the upper corners, you will see that it is the actual seat cover/material velour. I have this on a couple of cars (incl a Ceylon with black velour).
Esp cars that went to Italy had velour in 2 shades; one seat covering and often black on the sides and backs.

Hoffman required the US cars to have A/C and leather which were rare in Europe. I think he is also responsible for the side mirror being mounted far too far back on the US cars. In my humble opinion it doesn´t look right, and causes the driver to "break his neck" when using it (on the driver´s door).

Brent

Reaction score
Re: " I agree with pmansson. They are not seat covers, they are the factory velour seats. The piping you are seeing looks like a shadow. "

You are correct, these are shadows that I am seeing and not piping. Looking again at the pictures, this time enlarged, you are also correct in stating these are factory velour seat covers.

Apart from being velour, much of the look of these seats is lost without the heads rests, which (to me) are a signature design of BMW's of this era. All of this could be corrected with an order to World Upholstery, which is what I did to my '73 CS that had a velour interior from the factory as well.

Attachments

• Picture 22.jpg
    Picture 22.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 135

G

Reaction score
Luis,
Are you looking for ceylon coupe ?
I think that a board member was considering selling his. If I remember correctly it was fully restored.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ceylon cs

Let us know if someone is selling a restored ceylon cs please. I'd like a companion to my low mile original car that I'd drive more. thanks
chuck

Last edited:

ceyloncs

Reaction score
I had a look at this car...not so perfect as the description. I saw better ones for less then half of the price he wants.