1973 BMW 3.0 CS SUNROOF - $19950 (Malibu)

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Has this one been on the radar? NMNA

00E0E_eTRLch8riui_600x450.jpg

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4295160483.html

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On eBay March 2013 in Glendale, here is that ad:

eBay 3/25/13 This is a rust free California car. I've owned this beauty for 22 years -since 1991. The car was rescued by an avid BMW parts dealer/restorer, 2002 AD, and restored for me after an insurance company deemed it not worthy. It is a salvaged car that had front end damage but you would never know it. I bought this car and drove it as my daily driver until 2005. It is an amazing car to drive. Through the years I have accomplished many upgrades including: replacing the engine with a 3.5 liter BMW engine, converting the transmission to the Getrag 5 speed, installed new Weber Carbs, Bilstein shocks, lowered the car to stock Euro height by replacing all 4 springs, as well as reupholstering most of the leather. The car has 330,000 miles on it, the engine has 135,512. The replacement engine came from a 735i with 55,000 miles when it was installed in my car by La Jolla Independent BMW. EVERYTHING works except there is intermittent power to the clock...the clock itself works well. There are also a couple of small cracks in the dash and some of the leather interior needs attention.

So obviously a newer owner as there is no mention of the above in current ad. At least 2002AD had a different owner back then!

caraddict

Reaction score
1973 BMW 3.0 CS Sunroof

I am the owner of this BMW. It truly is an incredible car. With its upgraded suspension, engine and transmission, it drives amazing. Everything works. It blows ice cold air and it even has new tires. I have yet to find any rust.

The only reason I'm selling it is because I just got a 1965 Mustang Fastback GT K code and I no longer have the room. It was either the BMW or my 1962 Porsche cab.

If it wasn't for the salvage title (which it should never have had) it would be selling for a whole lot more.

Please call 310-266-3349 or email me, vintageanimation with any questions.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like a nice solid coupe. I did not realize a salvage title could do so much front end damage to the price. Seems to be worth a lot more than your asking price.
Steve

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there are salvage titles and then there are real salvage titles. a car that is an amalgamation of 2 or 3 cars ... pieced together to make a car ... that's a salvage title that should have a big warning not to buy. but a car that was stolen or in a minor wreck and put out to pasture by a claims adjuster who doesn't know what he's looking at other than its an old car ... so it can't be worth much is a crime.

there are a couple of e30 m3's that have salvage titles that are gorgeous examples ... they shouldn't have a salvage title either ... but they do.

koifish

Reaction score
I remember this car now. You bought this last year right caraddict? I remember it on craigslist last year. Looks very nice and for a fair price. Good luck with the sale!

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
there are salvage titles and then there are real salvage titles. a car that is an amalgamation of 2 or 3 cars ... pieced together to make a car ... that's a salvage title that should have a big warning not to buy. but a car that was stolen or in a minor wreck and put out to pasture by a claims adjuster who doesn't know what he's looking at other than its an old car ... so it can't be worth much is a crime.

there are a couple of e30 m3's that have salvage titles that are gorgeous examples ... they shouldn't have a salvage title either ... but they do.

Agreed. My coupe had a hit on the drivers side front back in the early 1990's when it was worth $9k. As a result, it holds a salvage title. If it had the exact same hit now, it wouldn't have the branded title.

When I bought it, I negotiated a price that I felt comfortable with given the damage history, and the future annoyance of selling a salvage title car.

Now, if it was t boned, the frame was bent and the car took two donors to put back together, I wouldn't have bought it, no matter the price. Mine just happened to get hit at the lowest point in the cars value. Life goes on.