1973 ceylon 3.0csi back on BaT

This is listed as a 1973 model. Shouldn't it have the 5 slat alum. kidney grills? I thought the 4-slat black was on the 1974 and later cars. It's interesting to see so many early cars with later 4-slat grills that don't fit the front clip as nicely as the 5-slat aluminum kidneys.

welcome to the world of Oldenzaal Classics - they put whatever parts they can get on it ... there is no such thing as finding the correct part, refinishing it ... at least on a regular CS / CSi. now, they have become better, but they are not one of the best. they don't seem to have attention to detail, they put the stickers in the wrong place, they paint the underside black, they also somehow seem to find all kind of Alpina parts. some might say they don't quite look like the originals, but they have the sticker on it. i don't know for sure, but i don't trust them.

This is listed as a 1973 model. Shouldn't it have the 5 slat alum. kidney grills? I thought the 4-slat black was on the 1974 and later cars. It's interesting to see so many early cars with later 4-slat grills that don't fit the front clip as nicely as the 5-slat aluminum kidneys.

Drew, (AFIK) the 4 slat grill is only for the face lift E3’s/ 1974/75 and never for any of the E9’s.
All E9’s with 5 slat kidneys. All silver up to face lift, after which the 5 slats were black anodized
All CSLs, regardless of model or year had 5 black anodized grills.

The misconception probably sneaked in due to lack of availability and the price difference between the two types. The E3/ 4 slat grill looks similar enough, fits somewhat ok, costs a third and are easily available.
Even this currently for sale 600K Euro Batmobile has the wrong E3 grill. That’s how far the misconception has spread.

Keshav

Attachments

• IMG_3338.png
    IMG_3338.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 463
Drew, (AFIK) the 4 slat grill is only for the face lift E3’s/ 1974/75 and never for any of the E9’s.
All E9’s with 5 slat kidneys. All silver up to face lift, after which the 5 slats were black anodized
All CSLs, regardless of model or year had 5 black anodized grills.

The misconception probably sneaked in due to lack of availability and the price difference between the two types. The E3/ 4 slat grill looks similar enough, fits somewhat ok, costs a third and are easily available.
Even this currently for sale 600K Euro Batmobile has the wrong E3 grill. That’s how far the misconception has spread.

Keshav
Thanks for the clarification, Keshav. I have seen numerous E9's with the 4 slat kidneys on BaT,and even a few CSL's with the black 4 slat grills for sale or up for auction.

Thanks for the clarification, Keshav. I have seen numerous E9's with the 4 slat kidneys on BaT,and even a few CSL's with the black 4 slat grills for sale or up for auction.
Very true…sadly so since the grill is the about the first point of recognition of the car! It’s about the level of commitment

glad @sfdon made the comment about the keys - hopefully that pic is taken down. it is interesting that each of the keys is very different. i get that one might be a valet key, but i guess the door locks might be different than the ignition lock

my thoughts exactly Dick. i thought it might have hit 80k to 85k ... maybe reach 90k, but knew there wasn't much chance of it crossing 100k. its a good to very good coupe, but with a few things / little work it could be an excellent coupe.

1. replace the taillights
2. add the wheel arch covers in the trunk
3. get the tools correct - red handled screwdrivers, correct allen wrenches, correct small pliers
4. get a more correct spare tire wheel
5. as mentioned above, get the correct 5 slat grille
6. as mentioned above - get the door rubber seals on, correct the stickers
7. straighten out the tatty rear trunk trim panel (around the lights)

then you get to the preferential things - get a much better steering wheel. either petri, italvolanti, momo prototipo (alpina) or an alpina wheel. personally, i think the wheels should be silver, not gold. i like the rc 090 wheels, but i think i prefer 16" wheels ... and the RS would be my choice.

from a cost perspective, i would leave the wheels alone and let the new owner do what he wants. i would do everything else - probably a cost of 3500 +/- ... but i think it would make a difference of clearing reserve and not. nobody want to spend 100k and then have to spend another 3500 / 7000 to make it right. and if i was buying it, i would also have to add A/C because of where i live ... which would add another pile of money.

-
my thoughts exactly Dick. i thought it might have hit 80k to 85k ... maybe reach 90k, but knew there wasn't much chance of it crossing 100k. its a good to very good coupe, but with a few things / little work it could be an excellent coupe.

1. replace the taillights
2. add the wheel arch covers in the trunk
3. get the tools correct - red handled screwdrivers, correct allen wrenches, correct small pliers
4. get a more correct spare tire wheel
5. as mentioned above, get the correct 5 slat grille
6. as mentioned above - get the door rubber seals on, correct the stickers
7. straighten out the tatty rear trunk trim panel (around the lights)

then you get to the preferential things - get a much better steering wheel. either petri, italvolanti, momo prototipo (alpina) or an alpina wheel. personally, i think the wheels should be silver, not gold. i like the rc 090 wheels, but i think i prefer 16" wheels ... and the RS would be my choice.

from a cost perspective, i would leave the wheels alone and let the new owner do what he wants. i would do everything else - probably a cost of 3500 +/- ... but i think it would make a difference of clearing reserve and not. nobody want to spend 100k and then have to spend another 3500 / 7000 to make it right. and if i was buying it, i would also have to add A/C because of where i live ... which would add another pile of money.

Sorry rs, I can not abide the color. Change that as well.☹️
are you saying you don't like ceylon??? really??? i generally dislike green cars, but i can't say that i dislike taiga ... probably wouldn't own one, but i think its cool and great for somebody else. i think ceylon looks great on a coupe and a 2002, not as much of a fan of it on an e3. e3's look best (to me in a handful of colors) ... most any blue would be my color of choice (fjord, baikal or riviera, then atlantik.

Back